need help with the motor mounts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
now I have a new headache.
stock exhaust manifold doesn't bolt up to the head on the driver's side. :flame:
Manifold warped, bolt holes don't align? Ultra-common problem.

Ideally, you'd cram the manifold-spreader tools into the manifold before you pull the bolts out. The manifold never has a chance to distort when removed.

Things are trickier when the manifold has already distorted. Sometimes the manifold spreader tools can "jack" them back into position, sometimes the manifolds crack in the process.

MAYBE you're better-off to buy a new replacement manifold or two. The quality is pretty low, but it can be better than fighting with an original that tweaked. The new manifold may need to be planed by a machine shop before you install it--they can be pretty bad out-of-the-box.

Good time to be thinking about shorty headers.

Last edited:

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, Schurkey.
I wasn't aware of the optional warpage of the cast iron manifolds.
headers were in the plan, but as I need the truck running ASAP, I didn't want to deal with fitment issues at this moment.
Almost any cheap headers I found online have mixed reviews regarding fitment.
I ended up ordering these. I hope they will bolt right up to the engine and the factory Y pipe.

Ckeene

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Energy suspension makes some and some others, try browsing Summit Racing web site .

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Energy suspension makes some and some others, try browsing Summit Racing web site .
Thanks.
I will keep my old mounts just in case. I ended up using the Drivetech I got from NAPA, as they looked the best quality out of the three I got. lets see how they hold with my makeshift spacers.

meir

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do in the near future. I’m not really looking for performance at the moment. Just need to get the truck rolling of the driveway ASAP.
But I did get a bored out TBI and new injector. Just in case