Removing Heater Box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudd Duk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been trying for a while to remove the heater box from around the heater coil in my 90. I can get the lid off, and get the heater coil off too, but I've taken all the screws out of the housing that I can find and it still won't budge. I took out the glove box and couldn't see any other screws, and was told to look at the fire wall from inside the hood, but the only studs I see seem to be the ones holding up the a/c condensor. Any help?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent taken apart one of the early interiors but I do know that sometimes you just have to rip everything in that area apart. Do you have a service manual or a similar publication?

Mudd Duk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I havent taken apart one of the early interiors but I do know that sometimes you just have to rip everything in that area apart. Do you have a service manual or a similar publication?

Not yet, but plan on picking up a Haynes manual on the way home this weekend. I believe, but could be wrong, that the heater box and coil are the same on all 88-98's

Mudd Duk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are you trying to replace?

The box that is above and sort of around the coil. Once you remove the actual lid, on the bottom with 6 screws, and remove the heater coil, the remaining part of that box that was directly above the heater coil. I'm redoing my interior now and that part actually has a hole in the front where someone jumped in one night and accidentally kicked it. The hole doesn't hurt anything but I want the interior to look new when I'm done with it.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same thing happened in my truck and I just hot glued some black plastic to it and its nice and air tight and you cant notice.

Mudd Duk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright, got another question. Don't know if it belongs here, but its in regard to replacing the box. Since i already have gotten the heater coil out, should I replace it? Reason asked is because when i crank the truck up, if the temp is set to cold, and I adjust it to hot once it warms up, it only blows cold air unless i reach over and tap the box. Then it works fine. Only time it acts up is when I turn the truck off with the temp set to cold. If I turn the truck off with the temp set to hot, next time I crank the truck up, it works fine.

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
That sounds like one of the actuators sticking. I think if I had my heater core out I would replace it.