Coolant temperatures while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Don’t know if my ‘96 does that or not. It would be a nice feature to have.

What I don’t know is if my auxiliary fan is working, and I’m not sure how to tell.

@df2x4 has a 1996 IIRC, and I know he can tune his ECU w/ JET's DST. He may be able to report whether the 1996 ECUs support the AC on/off and aux fan on/off features that I mentioned.

I have the aux fan parameters in my stock tune, but the values are nonsensical... perhaps because my '98 wasn't equipped from the factory with the fan option.

FWIW, the fan turns on based on a combination of thresholds involving

- engine temp
- vehicle speed

(note: 150C is 302F)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I get transmission temps on my 1996 K1500 5.7.
For coolant temps, I guess I’d try and test sensors or maybe replace or at least check with an infrared thermometer. I’m sure you’ve already done a complete flush/fill with block drained.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW I get transmission temps on my 1996 K1500 5.7.
Good to know. I’ll check my scan tool again. Worst case, I’ll contact the company to see what they have to say about enabling that capability.
For coolant temps, I guess I’d try and test sensors or maybe replace or at least check with an infrared thermometer. I’m sure you’ve already done a complete flush/fill with block drained.

I have not done a flush, but it sure looks like the PO had the radiator replaced not too long before I bought it. I assumed that the coolant was drained and replaced as part of that.

However, when I looked through the PO receipts awhile back, there was no mention of a radiator being replaced, much less a flush and fill. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Annnnnnddddd, looking back once more, just now, I see that the pre sale inspection report includes the following item (that I somehow missed):

“Needs a coolant flush and fill.”

:oops:

Guess that answers that question…

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I’ll check my scan tool again. Worst case, I’ll contact the company to see what they have to say about enabling that capability.

I have not done a flush, but it sure looks like the PO had the radiator replaced not too long before I bought it. I assumed that the coolant was drained and replaced as part of that.

However, when I looked through the PO receipts awhile back, there was no mention of a radiator being replaced, much less a flush and fill. Hmmm. :rolleyes:

Annnnnnddddd, looking back once more, just now, I see that the pre sale inspection report includes the following item (that I somehow missed):

“Needs a coolant flush and fill.”

:oops:

Guess that answers that question…
Not sure about the 7.4, for some reason I’m thinking 2 block plugs and not the 1plug/knock sensor for 5.7.
Remind me again what app you’ve got
-Torque Pro or Dash Command and which dongle?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain the block (as @Caman96 noted), if you're able. It's surprising what crap comes out.

I always mix distilled water with antifreeze, but that's just me.
I would think the GM SM has information about draining the block, and will check there.

And I’m with you. Distilled water mixed with antifreeze is part of the plan.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the 7.4, for some reason I’m thinking 2 block plugs and not the 1plug/knock sensor for 5.7.
Remind me again what app you’ve got
-Torque Pro or Dash Command and which dongle?
I’m using one called the Advancer AD20, by XTools, along with the app that comes with it.

It’s not great to use, and often disconnects.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
454 has 2 knock sensors for block plugs. 220 is nothing for the engine. It shouldn't be living there, but it's not going to hurt a thing. Trans temp is 100% monitored by the PCM and should be available for consumption. My engine oil is the fluid that runs the hottest on my dually. Something about a ton of wind resistance and 20k+ GCW that does it I guess.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m using one called the Advancer AD20, by XTools, along with the app that comes with it.

It’s not great to use, and often disconnects.
Dash Command does work. I don’t see “Torque Pro” available anymore, only Torque App or Torque Car Pro.