Remonte start/alarm using factory keyfob. Calling all electrical engineers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
So, here is a project I have been kinda brainstorming for the last few years. If there are any electrical engineers out there interested and would like to jump in on this project let me know. It is not limited to just our vehicles!

I had a Viper remote start for my vehicle. You know, the nice two-way ones. Was nice while it lasted, until my son was born and decided to teethe on my remote. A replacement remote was $75. I decided to ebay it.

A friend a work was talking about how cool it would be to use the factory key-fob on his Trans Am to activate his remote start system. You would just push the lock button 3 times to turn the vehicle on or off. Too easy. The hamster started to sprint and I realized that this would be nice because I could replace the remote for cheep. Just go to a junk yard or buy one off of ebay and reprogram the vehicle.

I have the basic idea laid out and most of the schematics drawn out, I just don't have the time or money to actually try it. If someone would help me out I would give you the credit, just hook me up with one if we can get it to work. Thanks.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not to inturrupt your thought which would be cool if i didnt have a 5 speed. but does anyone know how i can get my fob to work>? it did once! thats it. i put a new batt in it but no such luck....

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
You can try to re-sync it to the vehicle. You just stand next to the finder and hold down the lock and unlock buttons together until the vehicle responds. If you push the key-fob too many times the code with be out of sync with the vehicle and you have to re-sync the code. It that doesn't work try to just reprogram the receiver. Jump pins 4 and 8 on the OBD-II connector, you will here the locks lock the unlock. Then hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the key-fob until the locks cycle again. Unplug the jumper to finish.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Post back if it works. Never tried the re-sync, but have done the reprogram before.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
will do. prob be posted tomorrow since i dont get out of work here till 2am lol.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thank you for the help! all i had to do was hold the lock and unlock buttons like you said and now it all works!

DWillmont

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In short yes it CAN be done.I used to install alarm systems and viper remote starts have an activation input wire. When pulsed via lock switch in the truck or the lock button on the fob a pre-determined number of times the truck will start. However the factory keyless has a very short range so it may not be what you are hoping for. If you would like let me know what model Viper you have and year make and model of your vehicle and I should be able to post back with specific instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Well, I gave up on this. It was a good idea and worked, but like stated above the range is too short. If I keep my custom set-up I will buy either a AVS remote or one from Dakota Digital. It wont be as cool, but will do the job. I might just fork out the money for a Viper remote.