Reinforce/repair 94 door armrest?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flyboy1100

Reaction score
Truck is in decent shape, but i dont feel like buying a new drivers side armrest. Has anyone reattached and reinforced theirs? Only thing holding mine on is the single screw inside the handle.

I will be removing the door soon to do the pins and replace the interior handle since the spring is broke, so i will have the panel off.

Why didnt they put an actual door pull on these trucks, dumb!?!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure if this will help in your situation, but when I got my 98, the driver's side armrest was damaged. I managed to find a minty insde door panel, correct colour, for $20 at a yard. Took a bit of work to clean it up, but it fixed my problem, real cheap.

While I was at it, I replaced the inside handle (metal was broken), and the outside handle, (had been damaged in an attempted break in.)

Lots of YouTubes on this sort of thing.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Self-tapping screws straight through it.:grd: That's how our 92 farm truck is.

flyboy1100

Reaction score
Do you have a pic if where exactly you did that? Kinda what i was thinking, just not sure where. Was also debating long bolts to get the full width supported, but that is probably overkill

Truck is a truck to me, It isnt a daily driver, but buying a brand new armrest makes zero sense.

flyboy1100

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help in your situation, but when I got my 98, the driver's side armrest was damaged. I managed to find a minty insde door panel, correct colour, for $20 at a yard. Took a bit of work to clean it up, but it fixed my problem, real cheap.

While I was at it, I replaced the inside handle (metal was broken), and the outside handle, (had been damaged in an attempted break in.)

Lots of YouTubes on this sort of thing.
Youtubes on which part? I tried searching but moat results are 95+.

I havent checked local yards yet, but unless it is under 15 years they have crushed a lot of older stuff. Most dont even let you pull your own parts up here anymore. So stupid.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found YouTubes on exterior door handle replacement, interior door handle replacement, and of course, door hinge pin and bushing replacement. Of course, the door handle replacements showed how to re and re the interior panel. And, yes, the ones I found were for 95 and newer, sorry, but I did not think of that.

Just search on GM or Chev truck door handle replacement.

flyboy1100

Reaction score
The door handle and pins i have covered, that isn't the issue. I just want to reinforce the stupid armrest/pull handle since it is broken.

If i could reinforce that and then add a pull handle that would be even better

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a pic if where exactly you did that? Kinda what i was thinking, just not sure where. Was also debating long bolts to get the full width supported, but that is probably overkill

Truck is a truck to me, It isnt a daily driver, but buying a brand new armrest makes zero sense.

Absolutely agree, a truck is truck no matter how pretty or tricked out they are. But anyways the farthest one to the door on the left is for extra support, the two in the middle are where it appears that the armrest was molded to the panel from the factory, and the screw in the handle is a longer, stronger screw for more support. The washers are so that the bigger screw doesn't rip any of the plastic in there. The outer three are just 3/4 or 1in self tappers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Best part about it is, it's already broke, so you can't possibly mess it up.:waytogo:

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If i could reinforce that and then add a pull handle that would be even better

You could use what i had in 85' Monte Carlo SS. and pretty much all the "G-body" gm cars in that era as stock... Bunch of differant style ends depending on what it came out of.
This is not a pic from my old Monte but it's got the same door pull strap and end covers.

sent from what use to be a great country...

haruspex84

Reaction score
i like the idea of a pull handle. With less stress on the armrest you might be able to use liquid nails or some other adhesive to hold it in place.