Rear Left Wheel Locks Up During Articulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I've lifted my truck I haven't had a chance to play around and see how everything works post-lift otherwise I probably would've noticed this sooner. As it is I only realized this issue(?) after driving diagonally over a slight ditch causing the rear axle to flex.

When the left wheel is drooped and that side is fully extended the wheel locks. There's a slight thunk and when the tire comes back into contact with the ground it drags for a second before rotating again. I haven't noticed the same thing happening on the right side. I'll double check next time I go through that ditch though.

Could it be an axle issue or something with the brakes? I ask brakes because there's not much slack in the parking brake line with the lift and I was wondering of it was somehow pulling the cable as it stretched.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Take the e-brake cable loose from the shoe and tie it to the frame out of the way and try it. That will tell you if it is the brakes.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I found the problem. Will post about it later, but it did have to do with the brakes.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Mine used to do the same thing when reversing, until I replaced all of the brakes.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, my son and I were on our way home from Dallas yesterday and for some reason as soon as I let off the gas the real left wheel would lock up a lot worse that I originally asked about. Finally, it got so bad I stopped to check it out. Low and behold the axle had shifted back about an inch. The center pins in both leaf springs sheared and it caused the lower two leaves to slide back with the axle and it was tugging on the parking brake cable making the wheel lock up. The cable was already kind of snug since I hadn't rerouted it after the lift so it didn't take much to actuate the brake.

Frakkin' awesome. Hopefully I can find some replacements today, but I solved my problem.

You must be registered for see images attach

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Makes sense! That's probably what was going with mine. I replaced the rusted out u bolts at the same time.