Rear gear box oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

yeah sue me this is a ford, anyway, the reason I posted is this pan is ****** pot metal stamped cover that ford uses. I cleaned that RTV up and the rust and cut a paper gasket and torqued the cover according to spec, if force can do it, I think 10 bolt prob can

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a "trail fix" from our "4x4 and offroad" friends, meant just to get you back to the road and to a shop for a real repair.
Theres still pieces of plastic that WILL clog the oil passages to the pinion bearings, so this tip is not meant for axle longevity
I had a walmart bag stuck in my transfer case. I'm still confused.

To a point, use what you can get your hands on that's the right type.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people filling up ziplock bags with gear oil before they put the cover back on if they cant remove the fill plug. Once the car moves it chews up the ziplock bags and your full again.

One of the car shows I watch online tried it and they couldn't get the bag in.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah sue me this is a ford, anyway, the reason I posted is this pan is ****** pot metal stamped cover that ford uses. I cleaned that RTV up and the rust and cut a paper gasket and torqued the cover according to spec, if force can do it, I think 10 bolt prob can
What thickness of paper did you use for the gasket?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Standard gear lube, without friction modifier. .

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What thickness of paper did you use for the gasket?
I Had a roll of gasket maker that I had purchased a long time ago for a gas cap so it was on the thicker side of gasket, and I had retained it to the cover by using bolt holes, I dont think I used any sealant because I didnt have any suitable ones at that time and it held up okay fortunately. I believe i purchased it locally from an auto store. i still have it I can look but probably more like a manila folder than a piece of printer paper lol

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Cereal boxes and Gasgasinch!

This is my go to gear lube;

Get 3 bottles. An 8.5 should take a bit over 2 quarts to fill.

Wear nitrile gloves! This stuff is stinkier than usual gear goop and it doesn't wash off well at all.
You have been warned!

+1 on the getting the fill plug out

BONUS INFO
If the fill plug is very close to the axle tube and buried in the webbing it's an 8.5"
If the fiil plug is near the pinion yoke and outside the webbing it's an 8.6" axle

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I Had a roll of gasket maker that I had purchased a long time ago for a gas cap so it was on the thicker side of gasket, and I had retained it to the cover by using bolt holes, I dont think I used any sealant because I didnt have any suitable ones at that time and it held up okay fortunately. I believe i purchased it locally from an auto store. i still have it I can look but probably more like a manila folder than a piece of printer paper lol
I just checked the paper I have. 0.3mm is a thin. Doesn't matter as the sheet is only about 8'' wide.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
JT 7 75w90 synthic blend it was 30 cents more