Rear end rattle diagnosing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got diff cover off and it was pretty dirty and lots of metal sludge on magnet. No metal flakes or chunks. No side to side play in pinion. Diff was still full of fluid. Starting to think the dirvers side leak is the caliper. Rotating driveshaft in neutral with tires on the ground there is about 1/8 rotation of slack from driveshaft from diff. Posted videos on fb and 90% people said that was normal.

Closed the tailgate and one of the exhaust tips rattled ‍♂️. Wd40 that exhaust hanger, filled up diff with fresh fluid and couldn't replicate noise on hwy. Hoping I was just overthinking it first time around when I was under there inspecting it.

Thanks for all the input, but it turns out I just look for things like my 7 yea old even though everyone tells me where to look!!

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Closed the tailgate and one of the exhaust tips rattled ‍♂️. Wd40 that exhaust hanger, filled up diff with fresh fluid and couldn't replicate noise on hwy. Hoping I was just overthinking it first time around when I was under there inspecting it.

Thanks for all the input, but it turns out I just look for things like my 7 yea old even though everyone tells me where to look!!
My smart had a bad rattle when idling. Engine mounts were the first thought. Nope, a folding warning triangle in a plastic box behind the passenger seat joining in with the typical three cylinder idle vibes.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rotating driveshaft in neutral with tires on the ground there is about 1/8 rotation of slack from driveshaft from diff.
1/8 rotation, or 1/8" rotation? I'm pretty sure you mean the latter, which is normal, but it took me a minute.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My smart had a bad rattle when idling. Engine mounts were the first thought. Nope, a folding warning triangle in a plastic box behind the passenger seat joining in with the typical three cylinder idle vibes.
My previous 300 SRT8 had a weird intermittent clinking noise when I'd drive aggressively. Mash the pedal, brake, turn too sharp..

It had been that way since I bought it. Started to drive me nuts...

While doing a major detailing of the car a few months later, I discovered a few misc. pieces of a new bathroom sink faucet kit under the driver's seat.

Richard

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1/8 rotation, or 1/8" rotation? I'm pretty sure you mean the latter, which is normal, but it took me a minute.
I can't load videos on here but with xfer case in neutral and I grabbed the drive shaft by diff and was able to rock it back and forth with the slack. I'd say more like 1/4" rotationally free play.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My problem was I was told to check everything before opening diff, guess I wasn't thorough enough. Now I know I got fresh fluid back there with a new gasket. PO had used a TON of rtv and it was a pain to remove and wire wheel off.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My problem was I was told to check everything before opening diff, guess I wasn't thorough enough. Now I know I got fresh fluid back there with a new gasket. PO had used a TON of rtv and it was a pain to remove and wire wheel off.
That's what I was kinda thinking - in at the deep end. It won't hurt that the diff got fresh oil though. Every cloud... and all that! Best of all - your rattle has gone.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I was kinda thinking - in at the deep end. It won't hurt that the diff got fresh oil though. Every cloud... and all that! Best of all - your rattle has gone.
Wait…what was the rattle? Fluid change didn’t eliminate it.