Rear end rattle diagnosing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For inspecting the rear, pop the rear cover off and inspect the gears and play. You're going to lose all the gear oil, and fresh gear oil is about $30, so you want to plan ahead. When I inspected my Mustang's diff I caught the gear oil, and when I determined I couldn't fix it at the time I put that same sparkly gear oil back into the pumpkin.

I've never had a gov-loc apart. If you have limited slip, checking the side gears and clutches may be difficult.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For inspecting the rear, pop the rear cover off and inspect the gears and play. You're going to lose all the gear oil, and fresh gear oil is about $30, so you want to plan ahead. When I inspected my Mustang's diff I caught the gear oil, and when I determined I couldn't fix it at the time I put that same sparkly gear oil back into the pumpkin.

I've never had a gov-loc apart. If you have limited slip, checking the side gears and clutches may be difficult.
That's my next plan. Rear brakes look like **** but nothing that would make a rattle. I have a little lateral play in the passenger side shaft. And the drivers side kinda smells like hear oil. Imma have to pull the diff cover.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Brakes don't look great but nothing in peices that I can tell would make a rattle. I did notice the passenger side shaft has about 1/8" in and out play. And the drivers side almost seems like it was leaking diff fluid. I may not even have any diff fluid left. Gonna open diff tomorrow and see the damage....