Rear Drum to Disc Conversion kit questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pretty cool idea for an electric parking brake, but looks like it's just an actuator that takes the place of the pedal operation. You would mount the actuator on the frame, and when engaged it pulls parking brake cable to engage the parking brake. Really a good alternative to having a pedal in the cab, but unfortunately won't work for my setup. I do like the idea of an electric brake tho. Good find.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Here's a few ideas.
Wilwood's.

You must be registered for see images attach

For the 4X4's. The Ford & Toyota offroaders commonly use this style .

You must be registered for see images
http://www.4xshaft.com/Brake_Rotor_Kit.asp

Most of the pinion kits I've found are for the Ford 9". Reason being is the ease of mounting.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here's one that was made by a Co. called 'einstyn', for GM 10b & 12b's. Apparently no longer made, but the pix will give you an idea of how they did this. Used a cable actuated caliper. Looks like Wilwood's caliper.

For a 12b.

10b. version. (Those welds! yeesh!)

Attachments

• wilwoodr.jpg
    wilwoodr.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 28

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude that's pretty wicked... I've seen stuff like that on rock crawlers and monster trucks, but seeing it on a halfton has got my mind Rollin! I'm gonna see what else used a cable caliper and see if I can't make something work. Great ideas guys!

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so that idea is totally doable.... Wilwood still sells the mechanical caliper for like $85. And if I spend more time searching I find one that will work with the Impala SS rotors.. Would just need to fab up a bracket for it, and adapt the factory brake cable and done. A legal mechanical parking brake. Good job guys!

Lonestarstunner

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys, I found a pair of the Wilwood spot calipers on ebay for $170. My question is, would you run both calipers on each rear rotor, or would only one be needed. I prefer things on my truck to be as symmetrical as possible. So I'd run both sides for looks, and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything also. But I can buy the calipers individually so that's why I asked.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The ones on the pinion use the reduction of the gear set's ratio to amplify their holding power. If you are gonna use them on the caliper, I'd use both.