Rear Brakes not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
either that or some young punk who thought it'd be faster without rear brakes not to mention being able to smoke the guts out of the tires with front brakes only, but come on how stupid. There's a reason it has brakes on all four corners, you kinda need em for street driving.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats a pretty impressive story. Good work on getting it back to operational. That was seriously dangerous. I can't believe people would do that kind of stuff. It probably took more work to disable the brakes than it would have been to fix whatever the problem was in the first place. Can't fix stupid, ha ha.

NAST96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. Good thing you noticed it and didnt put it off like some people around here would do. Having to stop in a hurry with only fronts could of turned out bad. A+ for fixing it the right way!

Batman

Reaction score
Greetings: Newbie and 1st post: I have 93 C1500 w/ little brake power at rear. Shoes, lines, cylinders, adjustments, parking brake, pedal, drums, all adjusted and good. I can never get the rear brakes 2 lock up so I performed some experiments. Drive on rain/dirt/snow/ice...quick or slow hard pedal stop and no rear lock up but front will. I clamped front lines and moved. A little brake effort felt at under 10mph ( I figure some leaking by front clamped lines. I raised rear and spin tires and they will stop ( not much effort needed 2 stop just the tires. I suspect rear ABS, Prop, or Mod valve. I would love 2 swap rear lines but that would take bending and some adapting. Ideas? ABS test procedure. I hope not a controller. Stupid thing expensive. Ok 2 Eml suggestions. FYI: History. Since I put the truck on the road in 08. I replaced rear shoes, drums, RtRr cylinder, Rtfr hose, 1 Rt rotor and both sides pads 4 times. new fluid flush and bleed. Soon I will need new rotors and pads again. I would like 2 solve this problem B4 I do that job. Thx 4 Ur time and in advance 4 U help.

Last edited:

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Greetings: Newbie and 1st post: I have 93 C1500 w/ little brake power at rear. Shoes, lines, cylinders, adjustments, parking brake, pedal, drums, all adjusted and good. I can never get the rear brakes 2 lock up so I performed some experiments. Drive on rain/dirt/snow/ice...quick or slow hard pedal stop and no rear lock up but front will. I clamped front lines and moved. A little brake effort felt at under 10mph ( I figure some leaking by front clamped lines. I raised rear and spin tires and they will stop ( not much effort needed 2 stop just the tires. I suspect rear ABS, Prop, or Mod valve. I would love 2 swap rear lines but that would take bending and some adapting. Ideas? ABS test procedure. I hope not a controller. Stupid thing expensive. Ok 2 Eml suggestions. FYI: History. Since I put the truck on the road in 08. I replaced rear shoes, drums, RtRr cylinder, Rtfr hose, 1 Rt rotor and both sides pads 4 times. new fluid flush and bleed. Soon I will need new rotors and pads again. I would like 2 solve this problem B4 I do that job. Thx 4 Ur time and in advance 4 U help.

You should start your own thread and use somewhat proper English, some guys may have trouble understanding you.
But either way, If your not leaking fluid clean the shoes and drums, make sure the small spring between the shoes on the bottom is actaully there and functional.
Remove any ledge on the drums that may be there from rust and wear, Clean, Clean Clean and LUBE the adjusters (i like neverseize). Reinstall everything and repalce anything that is wore badly, (springs or shoes).
When adjusting the brakes, tighten them so that they take just a little effort to get the drums on but spin freely, double check by applying the brakes several time then fine adjust using the hole on the backplate so the shoes are not tight but not dragging.
If this does not solve your problem see if you have a prop valve, I do not and I have enough praking on the back I cant spin the rears at all on dry pavement.

Batman

Reaction score
Attn: Hezsus>

Attn: Hezsus: Thx 4 Ur reply. 10 If U will notice in my 1st 3 lines I have performed UR reccomendations already. 2) My back plates do not have adjusting holes. I have 2 take the stupid drums off. The adjusters R at the top. As 4 my spelling (english) as U say. Call it shorthand. If U text or have IMd much U would understand...as would others. I am leaning 2 the prop valve. Pedal is good and solid. Rear still Sux. Would like 2 C them skid on dirt so I know they work.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Attn: Hezsus: Thx 4 Ur reply. 10 If U will notice in my 1st 3 lines I have performed UR reccomendations already. 2) My back plates do not have adjusting holes. I have 2 take the stupid drums off. The adjusters R at the top. As 4 my spelling (english) as U say. Call it shorthand. If U text or have IMd much U would understand...as would others. I am leaning 2 the prop valve. Pedal is good and solid. Rear still Sux. Would like 2 C them skid on dirt so I know they work.

I sent 13k texts a month and thats nothing like texting