REAR BARN DOORS HINGE PIN REPLACEMENT TURMOIL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ATCRyderX

Reaction score
This is an SOS for my rusty, loud, dirty, leaky, wonderful, beloved 96 Yukon.

Over the summer, I decided to purchase two Rear Barn Doors for my poor ol Yukon as mine are "disappearing" at the bottom due to the climate & conditions of which this vehicle lives in. I got a great deal on a complete set of color matching rear barn doors from a 99 Tahoe & they look like they're out of a time capsule (prior to my attempts at removing the hinge pins). I regret not looking into what an absolutely infuriating task this would turn out to be.

The mutants I purchased these from actually cut the entire hinge assembly off the donor truck, rather than just removing the 2 bolts which hold the assembly onto the body (Please do correct me if I'm wrong on this and you'll need to read no further). So that leaves me 8 Hinge Pins to be removed (2 on Each door of my vehicle and 2 on each replacement door.

Long Story less long: I cannot handle removing these hinge pins. I have purchased the $50-$60 "hinge pin puller" extraction tool. It is of excellent quality and durability but I've already essentially ruined/bent it and whatever. I've smashed the pins with every type of hammer & accessory. The only thing to do from here is drill them out which will be horrible at best. SO assuming there isn't a magic answer to this crap - my question is CAN I BUY the hinge assembly that comes OEM on the doors but as an aftermarket option which doesn't require welding it on? I saw on one of the 10,000 forums on this subject that "someone" makes such a thing. Where?

100 Millions Thank Yous in advance, Gentlemen.

ATCRyderX

Reaction score
My question relates to being able to purchase a weld free alternative to the hinges shown in these photos:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

ATCRyderX

Reaction score
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/283417895387

Message the seller and let him know you need the tool for the Yukon/Tahoe. I got one when I swapped my doors on the 98 Yukon. It worked ......

I spoke with the DoubleArrow guy and got a much better heavier tool elsewhere.
Thats funny on the ordering of the door pins - I did the exact same thing! Order & hope for the best. Nowadays, Where everybody is drop selling & knows nothing about their products - Its very difficult to get a straight answer. Then I didn't realize I needed the nylon bushings/washers as mine were essentially gone. I'll likely never use any of these parts at this point but /shrug/.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats funny on the ordering of the door pins - I did the exact same thing! Order & hope for the best. Nowadays, Where everybody is drop selling & knows nothing about their products - Its very difficult to get a straight answer. Then I didn't realize I needed the nylon bushings/washers as mine were essentially gone. I'll likely never use any of these parts at this point but /shrug/.

Yeah I didn't read ur whole post before I started typing sorry! Jumped the gun cause I figured I already knew what u were trying to find but after I posted I re-read and felt like a dumbass lol. Are the half hinges on ur truck any good? I looked for replacement hinges too and couldn't find anything at all, so I figured worse case I was gonna be fabbing something for hinges in the end. Lucky for me it all worked out, all I used was the brass bushings, pins and e clips out of the pin kit I found. And it's funny cause I think the truck side of the hinge is aluminum and the door side is steel, leave it to some engineer to figure out a way so u can't easily weld em together and make it work without a HUGE hassle.

ATCRyderX

Reaction score
Ehall - They're both steel. Everything - Pins as well. You actually made me review that as the cuts to the donor truck's hinges are bare metal & suspiciously clean: You had me wondering for a second! lol

Novasmihjohn

Reaction score
This is a little late in the game but where did you get the tool? I have the same problem with my 99 Tahoe, I’m going to try the HECASA removal tool.

UP Transplant