Rear axle swap vs rebuild stock axle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klaassybrand

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Klaas from the Netherlands and I hope someone could help me on this one although it may not be the correct forum for my case...

I've got a 02 Chevy Express 1500 which is the last of the old series (96-02). From what i believe it is for a big part also based on GMT400 parts like suspension and control arms etc.

It is about the rear axle:
The stock rear differential axle needs service, it's making quite some noise lately. Maybe a complete rebuild would be best.(i would also like a limited slip or locker and regear to 3.90 or 3.73).

I'm looking at 2 options:
1) rebuild the stock 8.5" rear diff with new gear and/or locker , would do this myself and cost about 600 euros on parts only.
2) Swap with a used Express 3500 8-lug 10.5 axle, a;ready at 3.73 and it has G80 locker, which are available for about the same price.

Big question, will this 3500 axle fit in the rear? I'm aware of 8 lug wheels difference. But will i get into trouble with the mounting points of the rear leaf springs and the shocks? I already have the 3500 rear leaf spring pack installed. How about the axle width compared to stock? I really could not find the info..

Hope somebody has an idea.
Thanks!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from the US! I'm by no means an axle expert. I believe the 14 bolt should bolt on your existing 10 bolt. You'll need new U-bolts since they are TTY.

Just make sure you get a VAN 14 bolt, as the truck wheel mounting width are different than the van. I don't know what those vans had as the rear brakes? Drums or disc? I'm sure you have already considered that part.

This source has a lot of useful information about the 14 bolt: http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

You will also need a U-joint adapter I believe, because 10 bolt is different from 14 bolt.

klaassybrand

Reaction score
Thanks for the help so far. I've been reading alot on the billavista website, lots of info. Great!

I've been looking at the drum brake axles, because thats what i have now. I was hoping it would be an "easy" swap then..but there is also the parking brake connection..would not know if this will all be plug and play.

I'm not completely sure what i else need for the driveshaft connection to work. I believe i have the standard length driveshaft with the 4L60E.

I hope maybe L31MaxExpress can help me out and give some details.

klaassybrand

Reaction score
Well I couldn't resist lately ;-) I found an FF 14 bolt from an Express 6.5 TD in good shape! Which should have 3.73 gears and the G80. Good enough for me. It turned out the seller also had the front upper control arms + the spindle+calipers+discs from the same van. Perfect! Got it for 300 euros, a real bargain.

NoW i only need to find out the details on the drive shaft connection. And brales? Do i need another master cylinder and/or proportioning valve? I was checking parts at Rockauto between 1500 and 3500 but these seem to be the same. I guess that is not needed..

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st of all Hi from the USA. I am 1/4 Dutch and visit my relatives in Limburg on occasion.
2nd I looked at Rock Auto as I thought the masters were different like the trucks and yes they are. The plus side is bigger drum brakes. Good luck with your project.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you find out if the 3500 had hydroboost brakes? I know on the C/K 3500 they did for sure, I would also think on the Express 3500 was the same way. Should be pretty easy to add.

Lots of threads on here on how to do it.

klaassybrand

Reaction score
1st of all Hi from the USA. I am 1/4 Dutch and visit my relatives in Limburg on occasion.
2nd I looked at Rock Auto as I thought the masters were different like the trucks and yes they are. The plus side is bigger drum brakes. Good luck with your project.

Sounds good! Limburg is on the other side of the country as i live in the north (Friesland). But nevertheless it's no more than a 3 hour drive ;-)