Rear axel play

Discussion in 'Axles + Brakes' started by Kyle89, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Kyle89

Kyle89 Jack Of All Trades Ace Of None

So today before I started working on my rig, I moved it around the yard and my friend noticed my left rear wheel looked cocked in at the top when I made a slow left turn. I jacked that side up after grabbing and shaking the wheel and feeling play.... i pulled on the entire wheel it did not come out of the housing so it's not broke and the c clip must still be on. I have about a quarter inch play in and out and up and down ... when I blew my spider gears earlier this year I cleaned everything and put in a limited slip locker have had no issues at all. Any ideas before I tear it apart

2. PlayingWithTBI

PlayingWithTBI Desert Old Guy

I'd open the cover and make sure the clip is still in place (in/out play) and the wheel bearing isn't shot (up/down play). Or your axle is broke.

3. Kyle89

I'm sure it's not broke I can spin it and it still turns the yoke no clunking or anything either direction....hope it's just the bearing

4. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

1. WHAT AXLE?

2. First Guess: Totaled outer wheel bearing, probably ruined the axle shaft in the process. Bearings and shafts are not horribly expensive. Be sure to check the other side, too. CLEAN OUT ALL THE METAL FROM THE DESTROYED PARTS.

98chevy2500SS likes this.
  5. Kyle89

8.5 ten bolt good excuse to upgrade if so kinda sucks cause I just put my locker in new ring and pinion and carrier bearings and pinion bearings ahwell

6. brian c lindsey

brian c lindsey Newbie

there is a reason you ruined the bearing ,you should try and figure out why , so it doesnt happen again