Really stupid question about dual exhaust pipe sizes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ha i dunno, just thought about it and found it on a google search.
once i get caught up on my house stuff i have a local dyno that lets me make pulls on for cheap and do tuning... One day ill get around to welding up some exhaust with Vbands and do some testing.

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've actually thought about swapping out the mufflers for something from Borla. I know nothing about their different lines. My exhaust now is pretty loud, and I wouldn't mind staying loud. Currently, I get no cackling or popping, and I'd like to stay that way. I do NOT want through-chamber mufflers (cherry bombs).

What would you guys do? Any suggestions on what line of Borla to get?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the only reason for backpressure is if you're running weak valves and you're afraid the engine might suck one. I tend to go big on exhaust pipes. If you're hoping to hit the 400hp mark, I wouldn't go any smaller than 2.5"

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've actually thought about swapping out the mufflers for something from Borla. I know nothing about their different lines. My exhaust now is pretty loud, and I wouldn't mind staying loud. Currently, I get no cackling or popping, and I'd like to stay that way. I do NOT want through-chamber mufflers (cherry bombs).

What would you guys do? Any suggestions on what line of Borla to get?

Only experience is the XR1 on a heads/cam LQ4 with headers and a 12" XR1 and it sounded wicked.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bor-40941/overview/

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
An 'H' pipe helps to build low end torque, which is what you want on a street driven daily.
'X' pipes don't show any benifits until the upper rpms.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was a single 3" with the Headers and a Off road Y pipe on my buddys truck.
Muffler was in factory location and factory style tailpipe

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ha i dunno, just thought about it and found it on a google search.
once i get caught up on my house stuff i have a local dyno that lets me make pulls on for cheap and do tuning... One day ill get around to welding up some exhaust with Vbands and do some testing.

dont get started! you never want to quit. it easily becomes a very expensive adiction that leads to getting into the business, proving what works and what dont, and then pissing off all your potential new customers when you refuse to install part #xyz because it eliminates the ability to tune. and you wont build with part # xyzxx because it cost more and helps less. then comes the guy who just wants to toss a resistor inline of the o2 so he can run double dual redneck loud as hell 12 inch cannon tube straight exhaust.

but you will enjoy every minute of it and never ever look at a magazine dyno chart again.
BTW, the dyno will have probe for ass-sniffin the O2. but WB sensors 6-10 inches from the port will be as accurate as you want to spend$$$$

fill the beer cooler !!!!!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone who says you need exhaust backpressure on a modern fuel injected engine is lying to you, directly or indirectly. No reason to regret going with a larger pipe than you really need, you're not going to lose any power/torque or hurt anything.