Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a decent radio under $200. Kinda want to put a double din in it. I can live with or without a backup camera. XM ready if possible.
There is just so many choices it's overwhelming. I have been researching for about a week and just can't decide.
Stock speakers for now but will be upgrading them in the next couple of months but i got to start someplace so head unit first.
Radio is going in my sig rig.
Thanks guys!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I aim for a low/mid level brand name, Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, etc, and then look for features I need in their budget units. 35w+ per channel, xm radio and sub preamp outputs are my priority. If you don't need a CD player look at media players. They are usually cheaper and mount much shallower.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a Pioneer single din metra and recently upgraded the door speakers after i poked a hole in the left one. What year are you? There isn't quite enough room for double din normally. Metra makes a double din kit for 94 - 98. With some indash work. Depending how deep and high. Good luck.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes i know about the dash work needed for a big radio in a 97. It does not need to be a CD player either and XM is a better choice for me as i spend most of the weekends in the woods where there is only scratchy distant radio stations to pickup.
When i bought it, someone put what is probably the cheapest crapy single din Dual radio in it. I don't even really listen to the radio as it's so bad.
I could put a single din in it easy enough but i kinda want a double din just to be a little more modern feeling.
Im looking at Pioneer #1 then Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, JVC, kinda radios. Radios like BOSS, Atoto look good but how well do they really work?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So bit the bullet and spent a little more but i think i got a decent radio. Pioneer DMH-1500NEX and the SiriusXM hookup.
Now in about a month i will need to look for some speakers and a amp. Not too much will probably want to stay under 250w.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's way over your budget, but looks like a very nice bit of kit.
True enough, but fallowing what you said about ponying up for something you're keeping made sense.
Since ill be keeping it for at least a couple more years i thought the head unit is the foundation of the system right, so i need to just stop being a cheapskate and start with something decent.
So now let's move on to speakers and amps.
I really know next to nothing about most of this and need some help and suggestions. Here is what im thinking about.
$500 budget. Whatever amps for all the fallowing.
Would like some door speakers that fit behind the original grills with some separate tweets that will fit in the little grills where the window switches are.
In the rear i would like to replace the 4X6 speakers with plate speakers.
I would like a under the rear seat sub.
Remember i don't need or want anything earth shattering. Just want a nice sounding system that will play Queensryche, Heart or Phil Collins. You get the idea.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True enough, but fallowing what you said about ponying up for something you're keeping made sense.
Since ill be keeping it for at least a couple more years i thought the head unit is the foundation of the system right, so i need to just stop being a cheapskate and start with something decent.
Good move, but don't go blaming me for blowing up the budget! Lol
So now let's move on to speakers and amps.
I really know next to nothing about most of this and need some help and suggestions. Here is what im thinking about.
$500 budget. Whatever amps for all the fallowing.
Would like some door speakers that fit behind the original grills with some separate tweets that will fit in the little grills where the window switches are.
In the rear i would like to replace the 4X6 speakers with plate speakers.
I would like a under the rear seat sub.
Remember i don't need or want anything earth shattering. Just want a nice sounding system that will play Queensryche, Heart or Phil Collins. You get the idea.
I would suggest a 5 channel amp for your needs, something like 4x75 and 1x250. Stick with known brands, and compare RMS output not peak.
As far as speakers, go with the best you can afford. Crutchfield has some really good write ups on different stuff, look through their website and tutorials to see what meets your needs. Since you're rock oriented in your music taste you don't necessarily need a huge sub, but good sound quality speakers, including a good sub will enhance your listening experience.

96TahoeDoug

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What is a decent radio under $200. Kinda want to put a double din in it. I can live with or without a backup camera. XM ready if possible.
There is just so many choices it's overwhelming. I have been researching for about a week and just can't decide.
Stock speakers for now but will be upgrading them in the next couple of months but i got to start someplace so head unit first.
Radio is going in my sig rig.
Thanks guys!
Aren't we at 1.5 DIN? I saw - and this was my first look, a cheapo DUAL unit with a pop out screen had Bluetooth and USB/aux/stick/card for $99.

Seems like a dash kit ,harness kit and power kit add up. Factory speaker status is my issue but to me that's a $200 job.