Radio Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The Kicker KSC650 series is a good bang for the buck:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Kenwood and Pioneer are good choices too. Kenwood's speakers, in my experience, lacks bass and they need to be paired with a sub to get the full effect. I also suggest getting a sub. I have a single 12" Skar VD-12 sub in both of my trucks:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Of course, you probably wouldn't need to go that big, a 10" sub would probably be fine.

Edit: I'm not sure why the links are turning into the media format, still don't like this new site refresh.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Alpine makes pretty good amps. I personally have the Alpine MRV-M500 amp in my 96, it's only powering my sub though, not the door speakers.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok well ordered that amp. Looks like it will fit my purpose good enough.
I'll have to wait to get the speakers, but that's not a big deal really as that will give me time to install the radio and amp.
Think ill take a seat out and lift the carpet up to run wires and mount the amp under the seat. Good idea?

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So i wonder if i made a mistake buying that amp?
The Pioneer radio i bought says the output is 50w X4
The Alpine amp says its output is 50w X4 @ 4ohm. 70w X4 @ 2ohm
Does this mean i pretty much wasted money on a amp that will not really provide any benefit?
Sorry im trying to read and learn all this stereo stuff as i go along but it's kinda confusing.
So as i understand it 2ohm sounds louder than 4ohm. I can use either 2 or 4 ohm speakers, but the ohms need to match all 4 speakers, correct?

Zseventy-one

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The power output on your radio is probably peak power not rms. The amp will produce much cleaner sound. On my single cab obs I'm probably just going to get a powered sub for under the seat and go from there.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Pioneer radio i bought says the output is 50w X4

That's a peak rating, you want to look at RMS wattage which is a continuous rating. The RMS wattage of that Pioneer (and pretty much every decent in-dash radio ever) is much closer to 20W per channel, not 50W. The Alpine amp you got is 50Wx4 RMS (at 4 ohms), so over double the power of your Pioneer radio.

So as i understand it 2ohm sounds louder than 4ohm. I can use either 2 or 4 ohm speakers, but the ohms need to match all 4 speakers, correct?

Basically, yes. Lower ohm speakers will be louder because the amplifier will deliver more power to them. Be aware that not all amplifiers are stable with 2 ohm loads or less though, and even ones that are may run hot in those circumstances.