Radio In and Out, Mostly Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have an 88 Scottsdale w/ Regular Cab. So my radio usually doesn't work, and that was to be expected when I got it. However, when you play with the volume, it sounds like you're trying to tune into a station. Eventually, you can get something out of it but it fades in and out with static. I went ahead an replaced my antenna just to see, but it didn't change anything. Are speakers on their way out? Or is the radio basically trash? I'd like to keep the factory radio so I might have it repaired depending on what y'all say.

Lastly, hooking up the stock radio to an amp. Is that a good idea, why or why not?

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
Incidentally, I would get one from a '93, '94 or '95 (cars only). They are better and more realiable. The one pictured on the left above, 1616996, is a good one for non-EQ systems. Here a pic of testing one in a '95 Eldorado, with a trunk mounted CDM. The CDM is the top half of some of the higher end radios through '95.

Attachments

• 20210619_112409.jpg
    20210619_112409.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 12