Radiator questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
73526b91-9a8a-45ff-8055-bbe279508c06-jpeg.233284
I’ve got a 95 k1500 Sierra that I need to put a radiator in. I’m not pushing anything crazy so a stock rad will do but does anyone know what the little tube coming out of the radiator running underneath the overflow line is. It’s capped off redneck style right now because the stupid rubber cap dry rotted off.
I’ve seen some rads with and some without that and wondered what they run it to and I’ve also got an aftermarket trans cooler added on with some Mickey Mouse rubber line going on and wondered if I actually need that or if the trans cooling lines going into the radiator are enough.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The rubber cap covers a hole that can act as an inlet on some vehicles. The inlet can come from the heater core or somewhere else coolant exits from the system and needs to go back to the radiator. For a stock swap, just leave the cap on.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
GM put the return line from the heater core on the radiator some years/engines. My 99 454 has it connected to the radiator, for instance. I think the aftermarket just puts the port there no matter what, so they can use one radiator for multiple applications.

Those rubber caps are known for rotting out. I've heard the silicone caps are better.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ X2. Put a 5/8" silicone cap on it and call it a day. HPS makes some but they're expensive, like $14 a piece. If you're OK with buying from China you can find them on eBay for much cheaper in all different colors.