Radiator Oil Cooler Adapter Fitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99bluetahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope something good comes from it. I too would like to add my radiator oil cooler again. No more space in front to add an aux cooler with my whipple's heat exchanger.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
would anyone know the max pressure of the oil cooler system, im testing a fitting/sealer combo and dont know what pressure i should test it to

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high does the oil pressure gauge go to, and then add at least 50%.

I'd expect the fittings--but not the cooler itself, and perhaps not the hoses--to be good to HUNDREDS of psi.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How high does the oil pressure gauge go to, and then add at least 50%.

I'd expect the fittings--but not the cooler itself, and perhaps not the hoses--to be good to HUNDREDS of psi.
I ran a test today with a aluminum m20x1.5 plug today with neolube 100 thread sealant. I had a brand new acdelco hose connected at the top and i partially filled the cooler with water. I had let the thread sealant cure for a few days first. The factory oring blew out at ~105 psi. The plug with sealant did not leak. I know compressed air and water isnt hot oil, but i believe this sealant is good up to 400F.

I have a few other combinations of fittings/tubing i want to try before decided how to make the lines, the plug i tested today would get a hole drilled through and the cut npt threads into the hole.

I have some video but will have to upload later on a PC

Attachments

• IMG_9331.jpeg
    IMG_9331.jpeg
    209.4 KB · Views: 14

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's disturbingly low pressure for a failure on a system that's probably going to see 80+ psi on a regular basis. Not what I'd have expected.
I think i need to repeat it a few times to get more data. But these stupid orings are like 5-6 bucks a piece, i feel like they should be in the penny’s if i could find them in bulk

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was easier to talk over video then type

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Next test setup, will have a cap fitting for test
You must be registered for see images attach

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the test today with the stock fitting with thread sealant(no oring) and 1/4 npt fitting with thread sealant. No leaks from the test fittings or the factory fitting, went up to 130 psi mulitple times. i think the previous test would be an outlier when it failed at 105. This set up i think is how i will build from, its most simply, just cut threads and thats it