Questions about the radio receiver box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewster

Reaction score
I've got a few questions about the receiver boxes in the 88-94 trucks.

-First, did GM officially recognize it as a faulty part?
-Second, were those receiver boxes used only in the 88-94 trucks or were they used in other vehicles as well? I don't think they were used in the 95-98 line, since I've never seen one of those go out.
-Third, has anyone found a fix for the stock receiver boxes? I've been working on diagnosing mine with an oscilloscope for a while now, but I'm sort of at an impasse with testing the chips soldered to the board vs out of the board.
-And lastly, is there any other option for using/modding a different receiver box to work with the radio/cassette player heads? (Maybe another GM line of vehicles?)

Any answers will help out wonders. :D

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've got a few questions about the receiver boxes in the 88-94 trucks.

-First, did GM officially recognize it as a faulty part?
-Second, were those receiver boxes used only in the 88-94 trucks or were they used in other vehicles as well? I don't think they were used in the 95-98 line, since I've never seen one of those go out.
-Third, has anyone found a fix for the stock receiver boxes? I've been working on diagnosing mine with an oscilloscope for a while now, but I'm sort of at an impasse with testing the chips soldered to the board vs out of the board.
-And lastly, is there any other option for using/modding a different receiver box to work with the radio/cassette player heads? (Maybe another GM line of vehicles?)

Any answers will help out wonders. :D

Not trying to be flip, but all those questions can be answered with "no".

Cheers

Dewster

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was expecting to be the answer. Oh well, thanks for the input.

I've narrowed down (at least 99%) that the problem is originating from the board (in the box) where the cassette player and radio head plugs into. The second board, which the antenna plugs into, isn't causing the problem as far as I've seen.

Dewster

Reaction score
Just remembered something; how would I tell the difference between the receiver boxes that support the EQ cassette player and the ones that don't?

I'm currently working on the one that is original to my truck (1990) which has two boards inside, but one I pulled from a '92 Chevy has only one board in it.

t93k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Years ago I sent mine out to get fixed and paid a premium and it has worked ever since. I really wish I would have asked what went wrong or had the electrical knowledge that I do now. Im very curious to know what goes wrong.