Putting A Chip In A TBI Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im with Crunk I don't remember if my Thermomaster hypertech chip helped I do know that my under drive pulleys helped.
Get some long tube headers that will help real good and replace your stock cat to a free flowing cat like I did.

LILMAN

Reaction score
I had a chip fail on me coming back from Kentucky Monday and caused all sorts of hell. The pre-94 ones can be prone to chip creep at times as well.

When a chip fails what happens? Would carrying around the stock chip be good insurance if a chip fails?

Who are some other manufactures/places to look for chips?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a surge going on around 40-45 mph and It's started to look like it could might be the torque converter locking/unlocking. Would a certain chip be able to fix this?

A lot of guys say a tune will fix it but I know on TBI's you can only do the chips. Wondering if they are similar at all and if I could get this fixed this way.

USAF_Slacker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When a chip fails what happens? Would carrying around the stock chip be good insurance if a chip fails?

Who are some other manufactures/places to look for chips?

usually when it fails it just quits working. your truck wont start at all. you will crank and crank but never get it going. now one of the times my stock chip failed on me my truck ran sooo bad i thought it was going to explode but as soon as i killed it i couldnt get it going again. and yes, if your going to put a after market chip in carry the other one around for safe insurance. kinda like having a spare tire or spare u-joint

Darryll83

Reaction score
A few years back I deleted my cat with a straight pipe in my '89 5.7L (don't tell C.A.R.B. :wink:) and the truck kinda hesitated and fell on it's face at around 3-3.5k RPM. I put a stage 2 Jet chip in it and it made a world of difference. I know have power all the way though my RPM range..

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBIchips...anyone use them? And has anyone chipped an essentially stock truck? I'd like to just increase drive ability and maybe gain some MPG's and set it to help tranny life...is that possible?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TBIchips...anyone use them? And has anyone chipped an essentially stock truck? I'd like to just increase drive ability and maybe gain some MPG's and set it to help tranny life...is that possible?

I have chipped a stock TBI truck before, and yeah it does what you mentioned above, definitly worth doing, I haven't use TBIchip's but I have heard good things about them.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent news. I remember the last time I researched the chips I came to the conclusion they were un reliable and may go out on me randomly and be a nightmare because of what that one fellow in this thread said....BUT they are sounding better now! I remember looking @ TBIchips Ebay prices and I think the "hot chip" for my TBI truck is about $160...So it better do something damn it! :D

On an unrelated note I installed TB spacer and powercharger on my truck tonight with excellent results. Not going to claim a big HP gain but it is AWESOME how much better acceleration is along with how smooth it is...Tough to explain but these were just the tight of mods I was wanting! Hopefully this chip is about the same.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
It's not going to do much. Not sure if Bryan has updated any of his tunes for reformulated fuel yet from the last person I talked to. I haven't messed with "chips" in years but they can eventually die, but it's not common. The biggest problem was chip creep in pre-94 ECMs. Most tuners now convert the PCM over to flash memory to do away with the burning of chips, but it's a little more involved.