Programmer for 1996 GMC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope, kept my factory black box PCM. I don't think it's really necessary even for the V8s unless you've done some other pretty serious mods. I've read that our factory PCMs are only good for 5200rpm but I can personally tell you that's not entirely true, Mine shifts at around 54-5500 now. Verified with Torque for Android.

How do you go about getting this black bear tune?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How do you go about getting this black bear tune?

Black Bear Performance dot com

I have no idea why, but this site won't let me link directly to them or even type out their full web address. Cuts off the first two words.

You can order from there. You have the option of either sending your PCM in for tuning or exchanging it with a refundable core charge. I actually bought a second PCM from them and had that tuned so I would always have my factory original one to swap in if I ever wanted to. Keep in mind that if you do what I did or exchange your PCM for a different one, you'll probably need to have a CASE relearn procedure done to prevent your check engine light from staying on. The only people who can do this are dealerships and other shops with access to very high-end scan tools (GM Tech-2 preferred). It's an easy procedure with the proper equipment and only takes 20 minutes or so, but that's something to be aware of.

Last edited:

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Black Bear Performance dot com

I have no idea why, but this site won't let me link directly to them or even type out their full web address. Cuts off the first two words.

You can order from there. You have the option of either sending your PCM in for tuning or exchanging it with a refundable core charge. I actually bought a second PCM from them and had that tuned so I would always have my factory original one to swap in if I ever wanted to. Keep in mind that if you do what I did or exchange your PCM for a different one, you'll probably need to have a CASE relearn procedure done to prevent your check engine light from staying on. The only people who can do this are dealerships and other shops with access to very high-end scan tools (GM Tech-2 preferred). It's an easy procedure with the proper equipment and only takes 20 minutes or so, but that's something to be aware of.

If you do the scan cable tune and have a 96-97, you may be able to do it yourself with a laptop. Their FAQ states that doing the relearn yourself is not possible only with 98-00 :shrug:

But if you switch to a 411 PCM, maybe you can do it yourself even with a 98-00. You'd have to ask Justin.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately when I got my tune from them I was told that the scan cable tune wasn't even an option. Not sure if that's specific to the black box PCMs or what, but I tried to go that route and wasn't able. Was told something wasn't compatible but I can't remember exactly what it was.