Programmer for 1996 GMC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really don't know what thread this falls under but I guess here will do. Does anyone know of any good programmers for 1996 gmc? I'm looking for one that has the 4 stages such as towing econ and extreme. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super chips does, as I have one for the moment, but I'm building a stroker and will be going custom tune when it goes in

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly the off the shelf programmers aren't that great for anything other than maybe changing your rear gears or something. If you want any kind of real performance or mileage increase you'd be a lot better off with a custom tune. A Black Bear Performance tune cost me less than a Hypertech programmer and they offer free re-tunes for life if you ever want to change anything.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think only does 99+, though, right?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You appear to be correct good sir! :) my 07 burb is BB tuned and I LOVE it! I've already PM'd Jenna at and am researching this :) if it makes half the difference in my 98 like it did in my burb I'll be happy :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BB tune was the best money I've spent on my '97 V6. Everything I did before that probably had something to do with it but man that tune really woke the truck up. Removed 100% of the torque management and firmed up the shifts quite a bit, no problems so far and it will chirp the tires into 2nd with no transmission upgrades at all.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you do the 411 PCM swap or is that just for V8's?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, kept my factory black box PCM. I don't think it's really necessary even for the V8s unless you've done some other pretty serious mods. I've read that our factory PCMs are only good for 5200rpm but I can personally tell you that's not entirely true, Mine shifts at around 54-5500 now. Verified with Torque for Android.