PRNDL switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always associated a neutral safety switch with a manual transmission. Therefore an automatic never had one..
Auto trans had "neutral safety" switches. Engine had to be in Park or Neutral before the starter would engage. Starter wouldn't work in R, OD, D, 2, 1.

Manual trans had "clutch safety" switches. Clutch had to be pressed to the floor before the starter would engage. At least, that's how my old Chevelle was set up. Didn't matter what gear it was in, including Neutral.

TSALI137

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity - if you had a carburetor, what would you need a TPS sensor for?
The transmission. I would have still left the black box PCM in and then it would still work the transmission, but without the TPS sensor the 4l60e wouldn't work correctly, same way 700r4 won't work with out the detent cable or a th350 or th400 without a vacuum line. I put a carburetor on my cousin's 95 TBI Tahoe and only way transmission would shift correctly was with a TPS sensor. He has same stage 2 4l60e transmission I have.