Power steering swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ethan Gentry

Reaction score
Sorry if I’m in the wrong place it’s my first time trying to write on here and I had enough trouble trying to get to somewhere to write. I’m tired of constantly dealing with my constantly breaking OBS steering system. I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips with swapping it with a cat eye power steering system cause I’ve heard they’re a lot better quality.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What problems have you been having?

Any modifications or is everything stock (no huge lifts, etc.)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ethan Gentry

Reaction score
Well I’ve replaced the pump 2 needing a third time and the steering box once already needing a 2nd. I’ve done this job on my buddys truck which is the exact same as mine. Currently I just had the bolt that holds the steering shaft into the steering box break. I’m aware that me driving it without power steering doesn’t make things any better. My buddy just put a whole new system in his along with his lift and he’s having problems we can’t figure out even tho we’ve completely checked it over. So we were wondering if there was a way to maybe swap it with a cat eye steering system or maybe any other. I know these steering systems have a reputation of being not that reliable.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I’ve replaced the pump 2 needing a third time and the steering box once already needing a 2nd. I’ve done this job on my buddys truck which is the exact same as mine. Currently I just had the bolt that holds the steering shaft into the steering box break. I’m aware that me driving it without power steering doesn’t make things any better. My buddy just put a whole new system in his along with his lift and he’s having problems we can’t figure out even tho we’ve completely checked it over. So we were wondering if there was a way to maybe swap it with a cat eye steering system or maybe any other. I know these steering systems have a reputation of being not that reliable.

Having owned/own three GMT400's and putting 400k+ total on them I'm not aware the steering is unreliable. Stuff does wear out over time but if you have replaced the pump with a good quality pump in less than 75-100k then something else is going on.

Aftermarket steering boxes are generally not very good, but all the other steering parts can be found with good quality.

I don't even know what a "cat eye steering system" is.......

A bit more info would be useful.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ideally, a moderator will move this thread to one of the suspension subforums.

I’m tired of constantly dealing with my constantly breaking OBS steering system.

Well I’ve replaced the pump 2 needing a third time and the steering box once already needing a 2nd.
Defective, poorly-rebuilt parts?

I just had the bolt that holds the steering shaft into the steering box break... ...I know these steering systems have a reputation of being not that reliable.
They're completely reliable, until they're run well beyond their design limitations.

Biggest problem is the rag joint--and GM eliminated that on the HD models.

Wild guess with no evidence: Your tires are way too big.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or tips with swapping it with a cat eye power steering system cause I’ve heard they’re a lot better quality.

So we were wondering if there was a way to maybe swap it with a cat eye steering system or maybe any other.
What the **** is a "cat eye steering system"? Company name? Part nunbers? LINK TO A DESCRIPTION?

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guessing that a cat-eye is a 2003-06?

I think that we are at the point where just about any reman pump is hit or miss and any reman steering gear from a parts store is more likely to be bad than good.

Where did you get the pump and gearbox from?

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I read someone here say in '03 ("cat eye") they changed either the PS pump or the gearbox? It was a thread talking about turning radius. Can they be made to turn better, or something like that.

Now that I think about, I think the '03+ do seem to turn a bit tighter than previous trucks, but there's so many combinations of truck cabs, bed lengths, gearbox vs racks, trucks vs suvs, that I can't confirm.

I don't know if that's OP is asking, or if that has to do anything with durability.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My power steering sucks too, but I’m lifted on 35s so I realize I can’t really complain because it wasn’t designed for that. I would love to hear an upgrade solution though. Hydro assist is what I’m planning on once it gets a solid axle in the front

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stock gearbox on 88-98 sucks. Every 4wd lifted or not and even my 2wds get slack in them beyond any adjustment. I used a 02 2500 box on my 96 and it was a big improvement. Everything is direct bolt in EXCEPT steering shaft. I'm a machinist for the most part so I cut rag joint end off, cut the 02 u joint end off, machined a solid shaft piece 1.5" that pressed into both parts and welded it. I'm sure there is a rag joint with correct end out there but I don't like rag joints anyway