Power steering pump swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 99 Yukon with a Vortec 350 parts truck, and does anyone know if the power steering pump will work on a 95 TBI 350 just fine or are they different? Also would the the front driveshaft from that Yukon fit on that 95?
99 is a Yukon, 95 is a k1500 pickup.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Pump should be the same. Worst case you will need to swap the reservoir. Not sure on the driveshaft, if they have the same mounting at the transfer case end.

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the pump on a pre Vortec engine...the 95'. The 99 Yukon more than likely has a NP246 Transfer case, you can tell if it is push button 4wd and one of the buttons says "Auto". If so it will only work on that type transfer case. The 95' has either the shifter in the floor "NP241" or a push button on the dash "NP243" that does NOT say Auto.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure about the pump on a pre Vortec engine...the 95'. The 99 Yukon more than likely has a NP246 Transfer case, you can tell if it is push button 4wd and one of the buttons says "Auto". If so it will only work on that type transfer case. The 95' has either the shifter in the floor "NP241" or a push button on the dash "NP243" that does NOT say Auto.

Alright thanks I'll look at it some more. The 99 is the push button with auto. It's called autotrac correct?

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are correct [emoji106]

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, not sure when GM went to this but on the PS pumps there is a valve on the back with an electrical plug. Its for a type of speed sensitive steering. It works with a sensor at the bottom of the steering column to supposedly make steering effort easier....it sucks and when it fails the vehicle will usually pull hard when in a turn. Mine on my 99 Tahoe is disconnected and a different valve is in the pump. I've seen these on 97 and up, not sure if it was earlier though. I believe there is a TSB from GM about it.
In other words, I would go get a new pump if you need one. Finding a good used front driveshaft is fine.

Raspi454

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, not sure when GM went to this but on the PS pumps there is a valve on the back with an electrical plug. Its for a type of speed sensitive steering. It works with a sensor at the bottom of the steering column to supposedly make steering effort easier....it sucks and when it fails the vehicle will usually pull hard when in a turn. Mine on my 99 Tahoe is disconnected and a different valve is in the pump. I've seen these on 97 and up, not sure if it was earlier though. I believe there is a TSB from GM about it.
In other words, I would go get a new pump if you need one. Finding a good used front driveshaft is fine.

Alright thanks