Power Steering Pump Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To help out anyone who might not know how to swap a PS Pump, I figured I'd try to throw together a good write-up:

Items Needed:
-One thing that is a MUST HAVE on this job is a pulley puller/press. You can pick one up at your local auto parts store, some even rent them so that you can return it when done and get 100% of your money back.
-An average collection of sockets and wrenches
-Other than that you're going to need either a 1-7/16ths" open ended wrench OR a gigantic crescent wrench.
-Some power steering fluid to fill your new pump with.
-ANDDD a new PS Pump (duhh :crazy:)

Step 1: Remove the upper fan shroud. There are 7 10mm screws that hold it on. Also you're going to need to undo any other clips that may be supporting things attached to your shroud (I had 2, one for an electrical wire and the other was a breather tube)
You must be registered for see images attach

Step 2: Remove the clutch fan.

I fabricated a tool suggested by Ginger (I used steel instead of aluminum) to hold the hexheads (1-7/8ths" on center between the two holes) on the backside of the fan and a GIANT crescent wrench to loosen the 1-7/16ths" nut (it's standard thread). Place the fabricated tool (it makes life SO much easier...TRUST ME!) onto two of the hexheads behind the clutch fan on the bottom (so that your wrench has clearance on top to grab) and place the wrench onto the nut behind the fan. Have someone hold the fabricated tool very tightly and have another person whack (we used a 5 lb sledge hammer) the wrench towards the passengers side of the vehicle to loosen the fan nut. Once the nut breaks its initial seal you can just spin the fan (while supporting the front of it at all times!) right off with no problem. Be careful as you remove the fan not to drop it and punch a hole through your radiator!

Step 3: Remove the lower fan shroud by unscrewing the 2 remaining 10mm screws and take it out the engine bay to get a better view of everything from below.
Step 4: Remove the serpentine belt. Some people say that you don't need to do this step but I'm not quite sure why, it definitely made the job easier :imo:. Loosen the tensioner pulley hex nut (the one below the alternator) and push the tensioner pulley towards the crankshaft with one hand and slip the belt off the closest/easiest pulley with the other.

Step 5: Remove the 2 pressure hoses from the PS pump, one is clamped (hose clamp) onto the metal tube coming out of the back of the pump(return line), the other is a threaded line that has a 5/8ths hex nut(sending line), make sure that you have a drain pan under the pump at this point because there will be fluid in those lines!

Step 6: Pull the pulley. I pulled mine with it mounted in the truck so that I didn't have to put the pump in the vice to be held. For this step your going to need to follow the directions that come with the puller that you bought/rented from your local auto parts store. Just for a visual this is what it should look like vvv

Step 7: Remove the 3 mounting bolts from the front and the 2 mounting nuts on the back. The three on the front are easily visible/accessible and are in the 2 o'clock 10 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions (you don't technically have to remove the one in the 4 o'clock position but I did to free up room for extraction of the pump). The two hex nuts on the back are where the mounting bracket meets the 2 studs that are sticking out from the block area (one up high and one below). Be careful as you loosen the last nut because the weight of the pump is about 20lbs and needs to be supported and rested on the steering linkage for step 8. Sadly I didn't get a picture of the bolts :uhoh2:

Step 8: Once you've carefully placed/wedged the pump onto the steering linkage so that it's not going to fall, remove the electronic plug that is coming out of the plug on the backside of the pump. There is a red clip that needs to be lifted away from the plug in order to get the plug out, I used a small flathead screwdriver to lift that clip and then wiggled and pulled the plug out.

Step 9: Guide that pesky pump off your steering linkage and up out of your engine bay (I then dumped whatever fluid remained in there into my drain pan). Now you need to strip everything (hardware etc.) off of the old pump in order to use it on the new one. There are some simple studs on there that come right off, but there is also a large elbow that is mounted with a big hex-style nut that holds the plug socket and outgoing fluid passage for the pump. This needs to be removed with a large wrench (not sure which size) that I didn't have, sooo I resorted to the vice grip method :evillol:
This is what the pump looks like after reassembling all hardware back onto it

(my farm in the background :rocking:)

NOTICE: If you have the same style of power steering that I have you're going to have to remove a 1" hex nut off of the new pump reservoir in order to reconnect that big elbow that is for the outgoing fluid! Don't get discouraged when you get home and the pump looks a little different like I did! hahaha

Step 10: Reverse all the steps just mentioned and put it all back together!
Step 11: Chock the back wheels and jack the front of the truck up until your wheels just leave the ground, then fill the reservoir up to the "Cold Full" line (but leave the cap off). Next start your truck and turn the wheel crank to crank 12 times in order to work fluid through the system and to get any air bubbles still left in the system out. The truck should have sucked up a good amount of fluid so recheck the level, add more fluid as needed, and put the cap on.
Step 12: Check for leaks and take her for a spin!

I hope this writeup helps some people in need of info when they swap out their leaky/fried Power Steering Pump some day!

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
good write up. but, ive done this several times and never removed the lower radiator shroud, and also for the tool you made, good work, but i just used a screwdriver between the studs and it worked perfect to remove the fan/clutch assembly.

and as for whoever said you dont have to remove the belt and also dont have to remove the pulley, that's crazy lol. if you didnt remove the belt, the pulley would be under tention as you removed it and that is a big hazard for 1. you 2. the radiator 3. the pulley and the pulley puller tool.

all in all, great write up, especially for your first one as you said it was.

97SubMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good write up. but, ive done this several times and never removed the lower radiator shroud, and also for the tool you made, good work, but i just used a screwdriver between the studs and it worked perfect to remove the fan/clutch assembly.

and as for whoever said you dont have to remove the belt and also dont have to remove the pulley, that's crazy lol. if you didnt remove the belt, the pulley would be under tention as you removed it and that is a big hazard for 1. you 2. the radiator 3. the pulley and the pulley puller tool.

all in all, great write up, especially for your first one as you said it was.

I removed the lower shroud just to get a little more space to weave my arms in there to get at the pump and whatnot, and are you saying that I didn't need to remove the pulley? Or that I should have removed it after taking the pump out? Thanks for the compliment tho! I'll get better at this writeup stuff with more practice :cheers:

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Step 4: Remove the serpentine belt. Some people say that you don't need to do this step but I'm not quite sure why, it definitely made the job easier.

no no. this is what i meant. You said someone told you that you don't have to remove the belt, and i was saying you'd be crazy if you didn't take the belt off. If you didn't take the belt off, when it came time to remove the pulley (while on the truck) then it would cause trouble, because once the pulley came loose, the tension from the belt would sling it in any direction and it would be a big hazard. You did everything right, and as far as removing the lower shroud, yeah, i can see how you'd remove it for more room. Still, Good Job. :cool: