Power steering fluid suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some suggestion on what kind will be very useful. I read about not using atf but brand, here in Italy, are so different so I see generic use of "red" liquid or other colours. Thanks. K1500 1989

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Some suggestion on what kind will be very useful. I read about not using atf but brand, here in Italy, are so different so I see generic use of "red" liquid or other colours. Thanks. K1500 1989
You'll want to use fluid specifically indicated for power steering systems, for example AC Delco part # 105074 should hopefully be available where you're at - or you can order it. It's fairly inexpensive at under $4/pint here in the U.S.; no idea what it may cost you.

Rockauto link:
Richard

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could use a Dexron III ATF in both the automatic transmission and power steering system without issue in either. For example,

You must be registered for see images attach

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used various atf brands both synthetic and non-synthetic, as well as hydraulic oil of various weights. I never could tell any difference in performance, except that if you choose too heavy (thick) of a hydraulic oil, there will be increased steering effort in freezing temps.
No steering failures of any type with all the oils I tried.
That's my experiments and experience, your mileage may vary!

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The off the shelf (in the U.S.) Prestone Power Steering Fluid has been working fine for me. I bought a quart of the Lucas brand stuff because it had stop leak technologies or something and it is also working.

giaguaro

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your Suggestions works also for a refill, without changing all the fluid?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not trying to turn this into a "what's the best oil" debate, but at least according to the guys at Hydratech (hydroboost retrofit company) you should never use ATF in your power steering system. I know we all got away with doing it decades ago.. but that didn't mean we were right. I looked into it when I was flushing/filling the hydroboost setup while building my 3500HD, and decided against ATF in hopes of prolonging the life of the already-abused system.

Mind you I'm no expert on the subject, so I figured erring on the side of caution was the wise move. Here's the info copied verbatim from their site (emphasis mine):

"We highly recommend the use of Redline, Royal Purple, or Lubegard power steering fluids. After 25 years of working with hydroboost systems, we know what works best based upon endless testing and always working with our customers. Using a poor-quality PS fluid results in erratic system behavior, noisy operation, along with a reduced lifespan. Note that we clearly state in our instructions to NEVER use automatic transmission fluid (ATF) in your Hydratech installation. Why? ATF is not interchangeable with power steering fluid because ATF does not have the anti-wear protection or shear stability needed. Power steering fluid is specifically designed to work in a MUCH higher-pressure range. The typical automatic transmission will never see more than 350 PSI, while a power steering system may produce up to 1600 PSI of pressure. When transmission fluid is pressurized quickly to 1600 PSI, then the fluid quickly reverts back to normal air pressure as it moves through the system, ATF cannot handle it resulting in aeration and foaming - the enemy of high-pressure hydraulic systems. Transmission fluid also has a completely different additive package in it that is designed to provide just enough lubrication to the bushings and bearings, but has less overall lubricity as the clutches inside of a transmission need to be able to bite when engaged without slippage. ATF also has special detergents and seal conditioning additives that are not proper for use in a hydroboost unit. If the seals are excessively softened by ATF, they can be damaged very rapidly. Can you imagine draining and refilling your automatic transmission with power steering fluid? It would just about immediately start slipping as power steering fluid is, well, vastly slipperier, not allowing the clutch packs to apply without slippage. On the flip side, power steering pumps, steering gears of all types, and hydroboost brake assist units operate under extreme load and pressure conditions, requiring a fluid that provides the maximum amount of extreme pressure additives - the more lubricity, the slipperier the fluid is, the better!"

Richard

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In many early 2000s Toyotas - the owner's manual (i.e, manufacturer) explicitly called for Dexron III in their power steering systems.

For daily driven GMs, which most of us have, it's perfectly fine. If you're exceeding the limitations of your power steering system, like rock crawling on 37s, then sure, look for something better.

Redhead has no problems using Dexron III.

What steering gear fluid should I use?

We highly recommend using the same fluid that the manufacturer of your vehicle recommends. It is always best to use a name brand fluid. Our power steering gears are tested under pressure with Dexron 3 ATF before they leave our shop. If you decide to change from what the manufacturer recommends then Dexron 3, or comparable fluid, would be a safe bet.