Possible to make wiper arms sit lower on windshield?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So as everyone knows, the arms on these trucks sit somewhat high on the windshield. I wanna know if its possible to lower them so the sit lower. any comments and pictures are greatly appreciated!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you mean the angle that the arms sit while off? You can remove the entire arm and rotate it down so it sits lower, but make sure it doesn't stop in your line of sight when in the up position.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The older wiper arms sit lower on the windshield I believe... I changed to '95+ wiper arms and they sit higher.

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I think they are all pretty standard, maybe an aftermarket arm? Or try one from another style vehicle? Never really gave this much thought till now.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I've seen some put on nbs 99+ arms on, not sure if they did this to achieve them sitting lower or not though. I'm 98% positive that both the arms on my 98s are keyed in a way that makes it impossible to remove and turn them to lower them.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
I think I've seen some put on nbs 99+ arms on, not sure if they did this to achieve them sitting lower or not though. I'm 98% positive that both the arms on my 98s are keyed in a way that makes it impossible to remove and turn them to lower them.

You cant.

You can adjust factory arms by taking plastic cowl off, you can move the mount on the motor to lower them.

Paytonz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll look in to it further. I just don't like the huge gap I have from the arm to the bottom if my windshield.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Yes, you can adjust them. Phillips, 1/4" ratchet, 3" ext, deep 10MM, & 10 minutes...

Pull the arms off, pull the plastic cowl piece, where the wiper motor shaft enters cowl there is a plate that the linkage connecting rods are fastened to. Put the wiper arms back on for a moment. You will see a pair of 10MM nuts (this whole region might be greased well) on the ends of the linkage rods, loosen nuts, wiggle the arms down to a desired position, tighten nuts, cycle wipers, and see if they park where you want them to park. Suggest wetting the glass for that last part. ;)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you adjust them down further on the glass they'll look goofy because since they travel in an arc, they won't be level with the cowl/hood at rest, they'll be at an angle.

Can't lower the mount, because the mount point are the holes in the metal portion of the cowl, where the towers bolt in. Those are depressions stamped into the cab and I say it would take quite a bit of custom work to make them lower.

Finally, if you did succeed in making them lower that way, the chances they'll smack the cowl when running full speed, are pretty high.

If you hate wipers just remove them and Rain-X the crap out of your windshield on a regular basis. I drove a '61 Chevy for nearly a year with no wipers because the motor was burnt out and I was having a tough time finding the correct replacement. It rains quite a bit here. Rain-X is practically magic. :D

Richard