Possible Starter issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carlos2012

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1998 C1500 5.0 L V8 pickup and experienced something strange when I tried to start it. It started to crank and then the lights went dim and the starter dragged for a few seconds and there was a loud pop from under the hood with a little bit of smoke coming out. I let the truck sit for a few seconds and then everything went back to normal. I couldn't get it to do it again and nothing appeared to be damaged.

carlos2012

Reaction score
I've never thought of that. Is that something that has happened with those trucks?

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it start and run now? Or after your pop and smoke?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never thought of that. Is that something that has happened with those trucks?
Any engine can backfire if the conditions are right. I'd agree that a tune up wouldn't hurt. Get some new plugs and wires, check your distributor cap and rotor for oxidization and corrosion, replace them if they aren't nice and clean, then see if you have any trouble.

If your starter made a popping sound then smoke, it would probably be completely shot, especially since I've never seen that happen before.

Also, check your battery, a good battery should be able to crank the engine pretty strongly, repeatedly without issue