Possible purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to look at a 88 single cab, my question is this: owner states it only shifts up to second gear, are transmission repair very expensive? I want to make sure I make a good decision as he is asking 3k for the truck
Is it a 1500, 2500 or 3500?
2WD or 4WD? What engine?

I'd think the rest of the truck would have to be...spectacular...to justify that price. But as said, the market is goofy.

It will cost around $1000-1500 for a simple rebuild.
The '700 rebuild in my '88 K1500 cost just over $3000, back in 2019 or 2020. (My photos are dated 2020, but it was summer--before Bideninflation. A 2WD could be a bit less.

Granted, the planetaries were wiped-out, and replacing them would cost some extra.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I completely forgot the info for the truck
1988 1500 2wd, according to the owner it won’t shift pass 2nd gear. He is firm @ 3k for now but it hasn’t sold so I’m trying to work him down

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely forgot the info for the truck
1988 1500 2wd, according to the owner it won’t shift pass 2nd gear. He is firm @ 3k for now but it hasn’t sold so I’m trying to work him down
Any pictures or link to ad? Of course, then I could snatch it up myself. Lol

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For those that don’t have the app, here’s the ad. It’s not the craziest price. With a functioning transmission, maybe a $5k truck?

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've been shopping around for these trucks so I had to run a KBB just so I didnt give you outdated advice on price. This is for a 1992 (KBB doesnt go older than that) in fair condition in your Zip Code. If there was a poor condition I would have selected that.

I wouldnt go more than $1000 for it. Bad transmission and the drivers door doesnt open, for $3800, wtf. Never going to sell. Shop around for something better to spend your money on, something better will pop up.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
you beat me to it East302

I must be stuck in 2005 or something with vehicle prices. If the trans is bad and the door doesnt open, what else is wrong? or going to go wrong soon?

Yea, when everything is working I dont doubt its a $5k+ truck but in its current condition its almost a parts truck.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Prices are soo expensive here in socal. You see trucks that look like a one day paint job & they are asking 10-12k haha