porting your MAF sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
porting your MAF sensor is not difficult by any means but it is just time consuming and takes patience

first thing you need to do is take apart the MAF sensor into 3 pieces, 2 sides of the casing and the black center piece that is the actual sensor, the sensor should be put in a safe place until later because it wont be touched until reassembly, next you need to get the piece of the casing with the honey combing in it, stick a screw driver through the honey combing and pry it out, it should come out in 1 or 2 pieces.

next you need to address the center bars, this is the part that is the most time consuming, i started off with a hack saw and cut the center bars as close to the housing as possible, remember, the more material you can get out with the saw, the less you need to dremel, so after you cut the bar completely out of both sides of the sensors, you will need to get your dremel out with a grinder bit, its good to have plenty of them laying around, now comes the fun part, dremel down on the material that is left behind, your objective is to get the whole casing as round and as smooth as possible, of you were feeling like going the extra mile, you could get a hone and bore out the whole casing but remember, once you take off to much material, you cant put any back, so take off a little at a time.

to finish things up, you can get your grinder bit and trim off any of the casting marks that came from the factory, this just makes it look a little cleaner, also, most dremel bit sets come with a polishing attatchment and a compound, you can take that and polish the whole casing, including the inside area that you ported out, it gives it a cleaner look and makes the air flow through it smoother

last, reassemble the 2 piece of the casing with the sensor in the middle

anyone needing to ask questions can always pm me

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there any real benefit to doing this? I seem to remember reading that this would actually do more harm than good by incorrectly skewing readings from the sensor. Thought that honeycomb was there to create more uniform airflow over the sensor itself.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The honeycomb is there to provide laminar airflow over the sensor. Removing it can cause issues with incorrect readings. If you want to do this to your vehicle by all means do so.

There are calculations to figure out how much airflow an engine requires based on displacement and rpm. A single 3" tube will flow enough air to feed a 383 stroker at 6000 rpm. The factory computer has a 5200 rpm limiter from what I have been told so porting the tb and maf may be in futility, unless you have a 411 swap computer with a 400+ inch stroker.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I "descreened" my MAF years ago. It's one of the few popular "mods" I've done. The only benefit I can see to it, is that cleaning is much easier. If it really does change the readings.....making it inaccurate.....I think I'd pass on it, if I had the opportunity to do it again.