POR 15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with por15. I am going to be replacing a bunch of mounts etc. in the rear and fixing a few things on the frame. I ordered and received the por15 plus the chassis frame paint to paint over it.

My question is I have heard that its works really well over a rusty frame but obviously if you were fixing a frame you would want to sand blast clean and paint. So I may end up with some rusty spot and some clean. What are your suggestions?

Do I paint with por15 and frame paint and hope it stays nice?

Or do I spray a bedliner type material?

Or do I por15 and undercoating over it?

What have you guys done in the past and had good long lasting luck?

Thanks

chrome_rush

Reaction score
Por-15 is great stuff. Been awhile since I read the can but I'm 90% sure it says right in it just to knock off dirt and big chunks of rust and put it on. It actually bonds better to rust then bare clean metal. So no worries on the rusty areas. Just hit it with a wire brush then clean off the dust obviously and put it on. Undercoating would work well as a topcoat. It tends to hide the fact that its not a smooth clean surface because of the texture. One more thing, do not under any circumstances dip a brush in the can after putting it on anything. The rust spores caught in the brush will activate it and it will harden.

Also worth noting por-15 is VERY thin and will run bad, so do light coats.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
i strongly recommend POR. I bought their products from eBay through TCP Global. I used a pressure washer to rinse the frame and to remove any loose rust. Then i applied their Marine Clean degreaser...(twice for good measure), then rinsed again with pressure washer. The applied Metal Ready (etching agent).. then let that dry for a day or so.. then brushed on POR-15.

fist pic: before the truck was painted and POR'd (obviously)
second pic: por'd the first time
third pic: touched up some places since the frame had seen some changes (can't tell in pics where the first application ends and the second application begins :) ** the rear axle, gas tank, and spare carrier, and drive shaft were not retouched when i did the rest of the frame rails and the air ride related stuff... it cleans up really well and stays black once it's dry and cured ** (two years time between first application and second application / retouch)

EDIT: you don't need to top coat POR-15 unless the painted areas will see direct sunlight for an extended amount of time. (mine isn't top-coated)

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

semiguy409

The Big Rigger
Reaction score
if your going to run it only in the summer its great I guess... I ran my truck through the winter... and now its rust spotting, like it said it would prevent. I followed all the steps to apply it, and even bought all the prep materials. Maybe I did something wrong... Idk. It will fade too. Don't apply it somewhere where its gonna get chipped because it will start to peel off. Thats my experience with the product so far, I will probably never use it again...

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have used POR 15 several time on several projects and it is good for what it is. My intentions are not to discredit the product or make anyone change their mind, but my observations are that if not prepared properly, pretty much to bare metal, it has less than desirable adhesion, so scuff up everything real good and get all the loose crap off (which ideally should be done for any coating.) I find that in hard to reach areas where some rust still exists, the coating will not adhere well.

I also find that the finish fades and discolors over time. I find it is more apparent on parts that have exposure to direct sunlight. I am assuming they use an inferior method of UV protection.

I have since started using Eastwood products, they cost a little more, but I personally have been having better results than I did with POR 15. I usually use a rust converter followed by their rust encapsulator.

If dirt cheap is what you're after, I have used tractor supply company implement paint and it is super durable. You would still need to pre-treat with a converter then a primer, but the finish is fairly smooth for what it is and hammer strong. I have applied this with everything from a roller to using large orifice sprayer and spraying it.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! I did buy all the prep stuff as well. I also bought the spray on bed liner kit they sell, and the chassis paint to go over por15 with. My only other option is to return it and buy more of the bed liner, and prime the frame after sanding and beeline the whole thing with the gun.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just want to do what will last the longest, considering I am literally going to have it stripped down to the rails.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if your going to run it only in the summer its great I guess... I ran my truck through the winter... and now its rust spotting, like it said it would prevent. I followed all the steps to apply it, and even bought all the prep materials. Maybe I did something wrong... Idk. It will fade too. Don't apply it somewhere where its gonna get chipped because it will start to peel off. Thats my experience with the product so far, I will probably never use it again...

I had the same results with POR 15 on my 92. I painted it in early summer and by mid winter it looked like poo. After it starts to chip and peel I feel what does remain just holds the moisture in more, making more rust. Now to give the product some credit I didnt use the prep materials, just wire wheeled the loose stuff off and painted the frame. In the end it is something I'll never waste my money on again.

Just sand, primer and rockergaurd/bedline it.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it sounds like por15 can be really great if everything is done perfectly. I may return it and buy chassis saver and there silver flake filler primer. Does anyone have experience with that. Seems like the same thing with less chance of screw up! I just would hate to spend all the time and have it flake off.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did u guys get the plastic gas tank from for these trucks?