POR 15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmlea0

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do I know what kind of tranny I have? I have a 92 chevy k1500 4x4. 5.7 liter with 3.73 gears. Anybody know if I have 4/80 le or the other one? I am trying to order rear seal...

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I know what kind of tranny I have? I have a 92 chevy k1500 4x4. 5.7 liter with 3.73 gears. Anybody know if I have 4/80 le or the other one? I am trying to order rear seal...

A) posted in non related thread......

B) you should have the 700r4 but im assuming you are replacing the seal on rear of t-case (where the driveshaft goes) to find out what t case you have crawl under the truck and look for a round tag on the back side of t-case.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love this topic. I'm so meticulous about my undercarriage that I worry about my mental well being, lol. If I see rust I eliminate it ASAP. Over the years however I've devised a system that has worked better than just about anything I've seen. I just touched up my frame this spring for the first time in years, and it was mainly just because the coatings were starting get white and chalky from exposure, and a few areas were peeling up. Everything underneath was clean metal, however. Anyways the first thing I do is a typical frame cleaning which concludes scraping, sanding, wire wheeling and a power wash/wipe down. This will get it cleaned up nicely, especially if it's never been done before. Then I use a rust converter product, like the blue can spray stuff from Permatex or the like. After a liberal spray I let it dry then use a spray primer from Rust_Oleum (rusty metal primer typically). A general coating of black spray paint (semi-gloss or whatever is on hand)gives it a nice base, then a top coat of DIY bedliner. If I'm feeling really generous, I shoot a layer of rubberized undercoating in the wheels wells for stone chip resistance. It can be a lengthy process, but It's so durable afterwards. A long hard winter up here in Ohio won't even touch it.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The second picture shows how the back looked after a few years. Not too bad. The only thing that is rusty on my truck now are the exhaust manifolds, which are getting replaced this week by stainless shorties I scored on the cheap. :head3: :)

Attachments

• IMAG0565[1].jpg
    IMAG0565[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG0413[1].jpg
    IMAG0413[1].jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 24