Replacing frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarnDog

Reaction score
Hello everyone, after lurking for several years I finally joined the forum! (thank you for adding me) I have a '95 GMC K1500 SCSB and the frame is rusted to the point of failure. I realize this topic has been beaten to death, but yet another frame compatibility question...

Can I use any 88-98 model year frame as long as it's a SCSB 1/2 ton? I found a very nice '89 rolling chassis, will there be any compatibility surprises? I don't know what drive train the donor has but mine is a 5.0L / 4L60E.

About six years ago I replaced the fuel tank and all brake/fuel lines. The frame was solid but rusty and I wish I had the foresight to clean & paint it. I've been a lifelong WI resident and can't believe how corrosive salt & brine have become in recent years! It's really a shame to see these trucks deteriorating so badly.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should work. However I would carefully examine the cab, fenders and bed on the original truck. If the mounting points are overly rusty then you may just be openning a bigger project than you bargained for. I love my old trucks just as much as anyone on here but there is a point where it just makes more sense to find another truck. Or if you found a good chassis find the other pieces to put it together from the ground up and run the original truck in the mean time.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
The only issue that I can think of is the idler arm on the early truck mounts differently. The early trucks have a one piece idler that bolts directly to the frame and the later trucks have a two piece unit that mounts to the frame in a different way. All of the other front end components are the same.

DarnDog

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Rust is plentiful on this truck and I'll be replacing lots of parts including doors, fenders and a new box. It's good to know about the idler arm, I will watch for that.

I'd love to replace the truck but SCSB trucks are becoming fewer and fewer, decent ones command a good price. I've had this one for nearly 20 years and it has a little sentimental value.