Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Painted - white, without impact strips

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 6.5 - painted

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 6.5 - chrome

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to change the look of my truck once it is lowered. I am planning on removing the side molding and the wheel arch trim.

Would like to get some opinions on what people think would look good. I am leaning towards chrome without impact strips, front and rear. Regardless of the option, I plan on no longer running a front license plate.

Wheel style will be staying the same, just a larger diameter whenever I find one. Leaning towards MobSteel 20" rally wheels but that is a topic for another thread.
You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't go painted, especially with white. Every stone chip you get will be super obvious and will rust quickly. My '92 had a smoothie white painted bumper when I bought it and it looked terrible. Here's a pic of it right before I tore it down for the Escalade swap:

I vote chrome smoothie diesel bumper, whether you put lights in it or not. Keep in mind the diesel bumper was available with impact strips, which currently isn't an option on your poll. I don't really care for it but it's out there. My 3500HD had one when I bought it, likely transplanted from a donor truck as the bottom trim level truck wouldn't have come with it; almost surely came off a Silverado pickup, maybe even a Suburban, as those seemed to be most likely to include the optional bumper guards:

However, your truck looks great as-is! Would be interesting with some 20" steelies but I'm just not a fan enough of those Mobsteel wheels to spend the bucks. They look good but something about the shape rubs me a tiny bit wrong. The more utilitarian look of the GM "transport" 22's looks kind of better to me, but of course those are only 6 lug.

Richard

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@someotherguy you are right about the paint, if I was determined to have white I would probably install some sort of PPF over the bumper to help reduce damage. I really didn’t think about how beat up it could be, but your photo kind of seals the deal on not having it painted.

I agree on the transports. They would be perfect. The Mobsteel wheels I’m looking at are the rally wheels. It is hard to find something in the transport style for 8 lug trucks. I’m holding out for a set of period correct billet wheels, too.

The 6.5 is a strong contender. I’d put aftermarket fogs in it, too.

To me the impact strip will look silly when the rest of the truck’s side molding is removed. But it might break things up just enough to make it look decent.

Attachments

• D36C8EE4-0ACD-4A2C-A923-A41C9CBC7999.png
    D36C8EE4-0ACD-4A2C-A923-A41C9CBC7999.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 2

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think the diesel bumper is available in the aftermarket w/o the slots for the rub strips. Seems like I saw that when looking at bumpers on LMC site....they also have it chrome or black painted IIRC