pls i need advice >>>> engine swap >>>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
imo, high reving ls insnt going to touch 502 for torque off the line. and the 502 is plug and play with its own control, just get any accesories/brackets you need from a truck that came with a 454 so i think that would be easyier and have great drivability. on the other hand, if you like carbs id put a zz572 in it, the 620hp is pump gas ready.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
imo, high reving ls insnt going to touch 502 for torque off the line. and the 502 is plug and play with its own control, just get any accesories/brackets you need from a truck that came with a 454 so i think that would be easyier and have great drivability. on the other hand, if you like carbs id put a zz572 in it, the 620hp is pump gas ready.

An LS can be built to whatever specs you want, just like any other engine out there. The LS flows better by its very nature, which makes it do better in higher RPMs, allowing you to have a longer power band, run deeper gears without running out of breath or gear, not to mention having a more drivable efficient engine. Whats the down side? The bottom end you lose may show up on a dyno, but it'll never show up on the street if you set it up right.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that may be true if you dont use it like a truck, but put a 8000lb trailer behind it and that ls may run the same speed flat ground but itll be screaming rpms and be doing more shifting on inclines. to each is own but imo high revving small blocks dont belong in 1-ton trucks.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
that may be true if you dont use it like a truck, but put a 8000lb trailer behind it and that ls may run the same speed flat ground but itll be screaming rpms and be doing more shifting on inclines. to each is own but imo high revving small blocks dont belong in 1-ton trucks.

"screaming" rpms are all a matter of perspective. my 350tbi sounds like its just about wound out out at 3500rpms, where my LS2 sounded like it was just getting ready to go to work at the same RPM (which was EXACTLY the case), not straining even a little bit. If you're running in drive, the LS will be making a lot more power cube for cube at crusing speeds, and thats without power adders. If you want to tow 8K in overdrive, I wish you luck either way.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I should hope so, what do you have into your powertrain? Let alone the whole truck..

i did a lot of trading to build my truck and took 3 years, i think i actually only have about $4500-$5000 into it which is less than what the full price for the rear tires themselves would have been. used a lot of favors while building it

Last edited:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At the end of the day, 500ft lbs of torque is 500ft lbs of torque. And it can be had at around the same RPMs (yes, the LS will be slightly higher but not much if its built right), and I think id rather get it with 18-22mpg rather than 8.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I love the torque of an LS stroker motor, I will put a 454 LS stroker motor up against a 454BB or 502BB any time!

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
I love the torque of an LS stroker motor, I will put a 454 LS stroker motor up against a 454BB or 502BB any time!

for what it cost in machine work to stroke that motor you could build a dart big m into a 600+ ci motor

my brother bought his 2000 camaro ss already built, it was only stroked to a 427 and that was $7k in machine work but is putting out 610hp at the rear wheels, previous owner put $36k into the drivetrain and my brother got the car with only 19,000 miles on it for $25k, i could build one heck of a monster motor for that price