Please help! Idle issues now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Stock plugs is all you should ever run, CR43TS is factory.

Well brand new ones are in there. With process of elimination I'm hoping the new dizzy and fresh timing check/reset will fix it. If not, AC Delco plug wires. After that I'm stumped. Perhaps a new ignition coil? The one on it is riveted in, so I know its been on there for almost 180k.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you find the est wire to unhook when you go to set base timing again? and a coil either works our doesn't really, but if it is cracked or something then it could be acting up like a bad cap or something, just start with the dizzy then go from there. If you do get a new coil don't buy a MSD

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Did you find the est wire to unhook when you go to set base timing again? and a coil either works our doesn't really, but if it is cracked or something then it could be acting up like a bad cap or something, just start with the dizzy then go from there. If you do get a new coil don't buy a MSD

Haven't looked yet, and yah I don't plan on getting any Might Soon Die stuff.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The biggest issue I've seen with the coils on the tbi's is "coil breakdown", you'll notice a whitish coloration on the outside housing where electricity has leaked thru to the horseshoe shaped bracket. That's usually a good sign that's it's on it's way out and needs to be changed soon before it leaves you stranded. Mine didn't start showing it till around 190k, but it could be showing earlier, most engine parts wear due to hours instead of mileage.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The biggest issue I've seen with the coils on the tbi's is "coil breakdown", you'll notice a whitish coloration on the outside housing where electricity has leaked thru to the horseshoe shaped bracket. That's usually a good sign that's it's on it's way out and needs to be changed soon before it leaves you stranded. Mine didn't start showing it till around 190k, but it could be showing earlier, most engine parts wear due to hours instead of mileage.

Thanks I'll check it to see if I that is happening.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well weather did not permit installing the new dizzy yesterday. Hopefully we'll be clear by Monday and I'll get a chance to do it then.