Please help! Idle issues now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
So yesterday I replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on my '92 TBI 350. It idles great in park, and drives just fine. However, at idle in drive (say sitting at a red light) it stumbles a little bit, and today while coasting through the neighborhood on the way home from work it actually cut off. Fired right back up no problem, like I said it idles great in park, just not in gear. I never felt like it was in danger of cutting off when sitting at red lights, but it had a noticable stumble. I'm thinking I may have knocked a wire around or something under the hood yesterday, where should I start looking?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would check base timing, injector spray pattern, any loose plug wires or if they are crossed.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well I noticed when doing the wires that no hose went from the EGR valve to the EGR valve solenoid, could this be the problem???

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
could be a bad EGR solenoid. I have headers so I just blocked my with vaccum caps.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Ugh I must be the only person to have ever done a full tune up and have their truck run much worse afterwards!

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
check to make sure you tightened all the plugs. and make sure you got the right firing order.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Just checked the firing order, its good. I took the intake off and watched the fuel flow from the injectors, they looked good. Didn't see any irregularities during the times when it would idle rough. This is going to drive me nuts. Maybe I got a bad cap? I got the Accel cap and rotor kit. Checked every wiring connector I could and hose connection, nothing was knocked loose. I know I gapped all the plugs correctly, I make sure to do that because I hate pulling plugs twice. I used AC Delco CR43TS plugs. It has to be either the wires or cap, unless a new problem suddenly arose. Which is possible of course.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I just wouldn't think a bad wire or a bad terminal on the cap would actually cause it to get bad enough to shut off???

The temperature control sensor is brand new. Well wait, the one in the block is. Isn't there one in the manifold too that talks to the computer? That could be the culprit.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
How about this: I can hear and feel a distinct rattle in the brand new PCV valve I put on it a couple weeks ago, could that be it?