Piston Installation Tips and Tricks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A buddy of mine, who is a Honda mechanic and has rebuilt many non-4l60e transmissions, is helping me rebuild a 4l60e out of a trailblazer and I'm running into some issues getting the pistons installed for the forward gears. The manuals and videos say to use a feeler gauge, but that resulted in me tearing a bonded seal. I'm ordering a new set of pistons and I don't want to make the same mistake. Any suggestions?

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
plenty of trans fluid to lube it up and a lip seal knife to get the seal edge in without damage.
Link to the tool? I've seen one that was basically a wire loop on a stick, not sure if that's what you're talking about. Thanks for the input!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time I've cut lip seals using a feeler gauge blade is when I used a too-thin feeler gauge. Seems to me that .020 is the magic number...but I quit using feeler gauges decades ago.

There's several tools that will work on trans seals. The wire-in-a-crushed-tube works well. My favorite is to use the plastic "funnels", but they don't have them for every application, and they're expensive and single-purpose tools.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys! New pistons showed up today, gonna give it a go tomorrow or Monday. I'm gonna try a few methods, or rather I'll try one and if it is fighting me move on to the next, larger feeler gauge, guitar string in a crushed tube, and a trick I found for the reverse piston, comprss the seals and freeze the piston with them compressed. I don't particularly like the last option, as I then have to deal with condensation, but it did allow me to install the reverse piston with zero issues.

John P

Reaction score
I'm in Levittown, I rebuild 700's and 4L's. your welcome to stop by after I get home and I can do it for you. I have the tools and could show you a few tricks that may help with your build and have parts available if you may need something.