Penetrated body mounts..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
This truck has 2 of 4 body mounts penetrated, just curious if you guys have experience with this. Mechanic is telling me it’s not safe and to scrap it, the motor is shot and I have a completed 5.7 with a .30 overbore ready to drop into something. Thanks!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, common problem, mostly on regular cab trucks but happens to ohers also. Not even close to needing to scrap it because of just that. Mechanic may be trying to buy your truck from you for cheap.

Unless the frame is rusted through you can repair that a variety of ways. The recommended way is to remove the bad mounts from the frame and weld on new ones and replace all of the rubber mounts with shiny new ones. The un-recommended way is to jack up the body so its slightly above where you want it and jam a bunch of stuff between the body and the frame. Then when you let down the body it'll settle into the correct height.

Do you have any pics of the truck and the underbody? We can help make a judgement call on if its worth saving and putting a new engine into or not.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, common problem, mostly on regular cab trucks but happens to ohers also. Not even close to needing to scrap it because of just that. Mechanic may be trying to buy your truck from you for cheap.

Unless the frame is rusted through you can repair that a variety of ways. The recommended way is to remove the bad mounts from the frame and weld on new ones and replace all of the rubber mounts with shiny new ones. The un-recommended way is to jack up the body so its slightly above where you want it and jam a bunch of stuff between the body and the frame. Then when you let down the body it'll settle into the correct height.

Do you have any pics of the truck and the underbody? We can help make a judgement call on if its worth saving and putting a new engine into or not.
Right, you don’t scrap a truck just for bad cab mounts, they can be replaced. Are there other issues with truck?

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Thanks big time fellas. I overhauled the truck, trans regear and solenoid, all new front end suspension, rebuilt the AC, and a bunch of tiny stuff. The two rear mounts are rusted through into the cab, I know the rust damage is bad on the underside of the cab but the frame is solid. I’ll send some pics but it’s sitting in a pile of snow at the mechanics place, but it’s the floor pans that are comprised and penetrated by the cab mounts

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks big time fellas. I overhauled the truck, trans regear and solenoid, all new front end suspension, rebuilt the AC, and a bunch of tiny stuff. The two rear mounts are rusted through into the cab, I know the rust damage is bad on the underside of the cab but the frame is solid. I’ll send some pics but it’s sitting in a pile of snow at the mechanics place
Cab mount supports can be replaced as well.

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Hey guys, just to clarify here, to do this the right way it would probably be a floor pan replacement right? The cab needs to be pulled of the truck for this correct?

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
Here’s a picture of the car back penetration- this is for an extended cab. The one a few feet away is intact

Attachments

• FE449990-3D10-4D05-A6D0-0015540CBC94.jpeg
    FE449990-3D10-4D05-A6D0-0015540CBC94.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 40

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here’s a picture of the car back penetration- this is for an extended cab. The one a few feet away is intact

Hey guys, just to clarify here, to do this the right way it would probably be a floor pan replacement right? The cab needs to be pulled of the truck for this correct?
Yeah, you need a floor pan. Not sure what's available for these trucks. That's a pretty good sized hole. Get the body loose enough to jack it up a bit. You don't really need to lift it completely off. If you have a couple holes like this it's a bit of an undertaking. Are you set up to weld? Mig, blankets etc.

Last edited:

Jimbo2312

Reaction score
There’s two holes like this, the other 4 are solid thankfully. I have a friend with a hanger for his plane, he has offered me to use his hanger if need be and he has plasma cutters and welders. Thanks man, will keep you posted, depending how critical this is, I might just ride it out and save it for a summer project