Painting questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dash

Reaction score
My 98 K1500 reg cab shortbox is needing some love. Its got ~300k kms and the frame/body is showing some rust. My plan this year is to pull everything off the frame - blast and coat it, and at the same time get the truck body repaired/painted as well. While I'm there ill be rebuilding/replacing what is needed but leaving the trans/engine as ill be swapping those out down the road.

I'm thinking the cheapest way to get this done is to modify my carport into a spray booth (poly line it, install fans etc.). This would allow me to work on items and paint as I go so I'm not leaving primer or anything exposed for too long. I'd first strip down the frame and blast/paint it, then do the bed, cab, front fenders and hood.

I've never painted in probably umm 10 years. The truck has single stage paint on it right now - should I be nervous? Some areas have a little bubbling..

Any advice is appreciated! I'm probably a little light on the deets so lemme know and I can give ya some more!

Dash

Reaction score
It's a little dirty...

You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your front fenders are like mine, they trap stuff in that area that is rusted, and that is about to be a big hole. I think that you will want new fenders.

The box is probably fixable, but you won't really know until you grind into those bubbles...

Dash

Reaction score
I think you're rite - new front fenders. The door skins have already been done but the rockers will need to be done and likely cab corners.

Fingers crossed on the bed but I'm not very optimistic