painting headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattmay

Reaction score
whats the best way to paint stainless steel truck headers ?

mattmay

Reaction score
i what black header for my red 350 my whole truck in red and black and i don't any thing shiny under the hood

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck getting any kind of paint to stick to steel headers, much less stainless. I have painted non-stainless shortys on my red truck, all the paint flaked off of them in about a week. If the stainless really bothers you (although I don't know why it would) I'd look into some black header wrap instead of paint. At least that won't flake off.

mattmay

Reaction score
well a little shin will be ok i just never like chrome stuff all that much

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buy the cheap black steel ones like pacesetter lol
And sandblast them and then powder coat them red or whatever color u want
Put them in an older electric oven
They sell the powdercoat kit gun at harbor freight and the powder I forgot where h order but it's like 25$ a lb have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Stainless steel headers on a detailed black and red engine would look :boobs: - i.e. don't try to paint them.
Secondly, don't be SS headers if you don't want them? but IMO, SS is the way to go.

That said, buy flowtech headers in their pre-painted hi-temp black... its actually a hi-temp coating that doesn't burn off. Although, its more dark grey than black.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That said, buy flowtech headers in their pre-painted hi-temp black... its actually a hi-temp coating that doesn't burn off. Although, its more dark grey than black.

How many miles have you actually put on them? Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen any type of black finish (except wrap) hold up on headers before. Hell I've even seen ceramic coating chip away over time.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
How many miles have you actually put on them? Not trying to start an argument, but I've never seen any type of black finish (except wrap) hold up on headers before. Hell I've even seen ceramic coating chip away over time.

I agree - I think time will be the biggest test. To answer your question though, the headers have seen about 2000 miles since the install. I've went muddin a few times in that period, too, and got them hotter than ... still holding strong.