JBA Stainless headers Rusting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skip Fix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought some JBA headers to use on the new Blueprint 383 in my 97. 1832S "natural" not ceramic coated but stainless right. After maybe 6 months they look as rusty as mild steel headers!

Attachments

• JBA headers rust.jpeg
    JBA headers rust.jpeg
    621.4 KB · Views: 14

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Tag and bolts look like they may be stainless at least. Perhaps they are/were stainless coated similar to dishwahers, big box store toolboxes, etc?

Have you reached out to JBA regarding it? (No experience with headers here just kicking ideas out.)

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stainless steel is a generic term for a multitude of different alloys, they all contain at least 50% Iron so can and will rust under certain conditions. Even wiping them down with a mildly acidic cleaner will set them off and there is no stopping it from then on.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
especially around the coast, anything less than 316 grade isn't going to last but several months... You usually see it advertised as Marine Grade....
Not sure of what's doable with the different grades as it relates to strength....or heat......

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tag maybe, but those do not look stainless to me. Maybe someone put them in the wrong box.

The main difference people run into on stainless corrosion is 300 vs 400 series. 300 containing more chromium.

Recently finished my exhaust in full stainless, was pretty surprised to no rust/corrosion to the stuff I put on before winter. The Chinese listings weren't wrong that it was 308.

Hold a magnet to it, is it magnetic? If its magnetic, they sold you crap. But those look like mild steel anyhow.

Attachments

• ss.PNG
    ss.PNG
    109.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, exposure to heat apparently causes rust.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, put a magnet on it and see how strong the attraction is.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, we're all sitting here babbling along. I checked the part #...

409 it is. My mufflers are 409, but also a complete 40 series knockoff, at only $45 a piece. So I didn't expect a lot.

The heat, and conditions where you live must have got the better of them. That's terrible, those are not cheap.

I could understand 409 in some turbo applications, but no clue why manufacturers would use it for the reasons stainless is sold. You take a little weight, to have less rust. The same rust, with more weight is kinda...huh.

Attachments

• 409.PNG
    409.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 7