Open element air filter 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
would this base work? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-85-3540/overview/

I've currently got just the lid flipped and want to replace it with a proper set up.

It could but I think a Ten inch diameter would be better like this one...... stay off the coil and the map sensor.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-1203

FYI The stock filter is 11.55" in diameter. So it wont fit the K&N 11" base I'd mentioned before, you'd have to find an 11" filter element
a taller 9inch diameter might work with a flat base.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
less power my rear I never noticed anything bad or good.

age old debate right there over cold air vs warm more power less power etc.

I can live with mine. IF it made it have less power.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i cut mine to be an open, no loss of power between my open element, ebay cold air, or my K&N cold air one. lost power slightly on the stock one.

bit noisier, but so is a cold air compared to factory silenced stuff. both have better throttle response

open element seems to have more oomph at acceleration then sorta evens out where as the cold air powers through a bit more.

my truck ran just about perfect with the open and slightly richer with the cold air

take what i say as you will, i tested the power out on a friends dyno because i could, nothing major but overall stock was the worst.

as for fuel mixture testing and all that i plugged my truck into a loptop same weather, same driving conditions, same tune.

thered95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tyler was your stock housing gutted? salad bowl? smooth tube to the fender? if any of those are not done that is why the results are lower. also were all the runs done under the same conditions.

88C1500

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
I run a K&N on mine, it was already there when I bought it so I cant vouch for performance gain. And I can only here it suck air when its dead quite out in the morning.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Lol.

"Debate"

There is none.

That's the last i'll say on it....

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
im not debating this time, i went and tested all of them out after that whole escapade. no it was bone stock minus the warm air tube on the bottom and the one on the collar. i gutted the fender stuff and that helped a little.

all were done in the exact same conditions as stated.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The formula for HP loss vs intake temperature increase is approximately 1% loss for every 7.5*F increase in intake temperature. I have a 00 and a 99 5.7 truck with the intake air temperature sensor in the tube and the intake air temperatures do stay lower pulling out of the fender. Using the Torque App for my phone, I've watched it at different points both in town and on the highway and those temperatures stay just above ambient temperature and no where near under hood temperatures. Cooler air is denser, meaning you get more O2 per cubic foot of air. The more O2 you get in the engine, the more fuel you can effectively burn. Just dumping in fuel without enough O2 to burn it is wasting it.