Open element air filter 350 TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did it, I think it runs slightly better, maybe its just the sound, and I do have a cowl hood, so that has to be better then a stock hood and open element

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did it and did a write up on here, you mustused a raised base, not flat or drop if you remove the choke down collar from the stock tbi, the coil gets moved and so did my bracketfor the esc and egr solenoid and such. also went with another stud to use a chrome type nut and not the stock tbi one.

hefftone

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a 14" base (3/4" raised, $11) from summit, with a plastic spacer ring ($3) also from summit, to clear the coil. Then a 4" tall stp air cleaner for 1983 el camino. Put the stock lid back on, upside down.
Looks cool, sounds better.

A smaller diameter filter base would be better to clear the coil. I wished I had tried to use this one instead, might work with stock filter.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-01988/overview/

Last edited:

Damn

Reaction score
Im going to play devils advocate here and say that with an open element the air temp is going to be the same as stock unless your driving down the freeway or its cold outside. Where i live it gets around 105+ and i can tell you for sure with a stocksetup that air is very very hot from the engine being heat soaked. I noticed an increase in mpg when i did it i went back to stock so the filters lasted longer.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Im going to play devils advocate here and say that with an open element the air temp is going to be the same as stock unless your driving down the freeway or its cold outside. Where i live it gets around 105+ and i can tell you for sure with a stocksetup that air is very very hot from the engine being heat soaked. I noticed an increase in mpg when i did it i went back to stock so the filters lasted longer.

In this case, the devil is doing his usual thing and leadig you astray.

Even sitting still, the air temp is going to be lower in a ducted setup as opposed to an open element.

Of course, sitting still means you're at idle and consuming very little fuel anyways....

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got the 20 some dollar mr gasket one at advanced, filter is only 2 inches tall, seems dirty after a few months, want to switch to atleast a 3 in, seems like nobody sells a 4inch cleanable one around here, have to order

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
Pointless. Worse when it's cold, lol. No pre-atomization of the fuel=wetwalled intake.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Fuel mixing in TBI's dependent on the height of the injector above the plates, the velocity of the air through the bores and turbulence/manifold design.

But the most important factors in TBI are fuel pressure and nozzle cleanliness, not the air cleaner height.

About all you might get with a taller air cleaner is velocity (speaking to airflow concerns and not mechanical clearance issues) and even that is messed up by going through the bores and past the throttle plates... velocity is more affected by throttle plate opening.

But now we're getting into the area of discussions on mass airflow, and that just makes things more complicated....