One Corner Sitting Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shocks won't affect your ride height, unless they're air shocks. It's sole purpose is to act as a damper during jounce and rebound of the suspension, it doesn't change how your vehicle sits

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I figured that probably wasn't what's causing my issue, however 94Sierra did post that it was the case for him. My main reason for saying I'm getting new shocks is because I just got Bilsteins for the Suburban and if I'm messing around with the leaf springs anyway I guess I might as well make the trucks match. Stockers can't be doing too well with 130k on them anyway I imagine.

Edit - I dun't speel gud.

Last edited:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Coming down the road after work it was clear my truck was leaning hard to passenger rear... i replaced the shocks and no more lean.. lol.
So yeah, it most definitely changed how my vehicle sat :S

gd1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That makes no sense at all... Here's a little definition of a shock absorber

Vehicle suspension

In a vehicle, shock absorbers reduce the effect of traveling over rough ground, leading to improved ride quality and vehicle handling. While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to dampen spring oscillations.

so unless your shock was seized, and essentially "holding" the one corner of your truck down, theres no rhyme or reason why new shocks would make a difference.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That makes no sense at all... Here's a little definition of a shock absorber

Vehicle suspension

In a vehicle, shock absorbers reduce the effect of traveling over rough ground, leading to improved ride quality and vehicle handling. While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to dampen spring oscillations.

so unless your shock was seized, and essentially "holding" the one corner of your truck down, theres no rhyme or reason why new shocks would make a difference.

He mentioned the shock would compress but not extend.

Entirely possible if the stack shifted inside on the piston, essentially turning it into a one way check valve instead of a restrictor.

It would be a very odd failure, but possible....

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I understand how shocks work and I assume that's what happened, I gained half an inch just by taking them out. Had to hammer it out of the bottom mount. Couldn't pull it apart nor compress it together :shrug:
And yeah I measured fender heights before/after because I was that curious!

I messed up earlier, when the truck was leaning hard after work that one day it was the air bag line being ripped out, so 0lbs in the pass side; combined with that passenger rear shock. So it wasn't THAT noticable, but it was still, noticable.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I've decided I'll probably put some new leaf springs on it as soon as funds permit, but I was really tired of looking at it this morning so I came up with a cheap and simple temporary fix. Throw 450lbs of sand bags over the high corner! Left and right rear are now completely level even with me in the truck. As an added bonus my weight alterations leveled the front and rear perfectly, and it looks pretty sweet.

Reaction score
well i have the same problem 93 3500 6.5
ok truck shows about 1/2 lower on drivers side, But only from the axle to the back of the truck
replaced leaf springs,shackles,bolts,u bolts, u bolt plates, bed is off the truck you can see the frame
has some surface rust but no bends or twists anybody have any ideas

thanks Bob

Donald Mitchell

1990 C1500 5.7L
Reaction score
the 1970s and 80s c10's came that way from the dealer. They claimed the shippers tied them down to hard and twisted the frames.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i have the same problem 93 3500 6.5
ok truck shows about 1/2 lower on drivers side, But only from the axle to the back of the truck
replaced leaf springs,shackles,bolts,u bolts, u bolt plates, bed is off the truck you can see the frame
has some surface rust but no bends or twists anybody have any ideas

thanks Bob
If you have replaced the springs and it is only low from rear axle to rear of frame than the frame is bent.

Measure from the top of the spring pack directly up to the frame on each side and see if those measurements are the same.