One Corner Sitting Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My '97 C1500 has got a strange issue where the drivers side rear corner rides exactly one inch lower than the passenger side. The front end sits level. Got under it and looked today and I can't see anything that looks obviously broken or out of place, but to be honest I'm not really sure what to be looking for. Pretty sure it's not a body/frame tweak issue as the truck has been in the family since it was new. The leaf springs and shocks are all factory, I've never messed with them. Truck has about 130k on it. Any suggestions on what I should be looking for to fix this?

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah do your body lines really line up? Plus check the front of your box to the back. These bed mounts break fairly easy

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies. I just went out and double checked it with the tape and it's probably closer to 1/2 inch difference, maybe 3/4. It still bugs me, though. You can definitely see it while standing behind the truck. The body lines are pretty much perfect. I think the bed mounts are probably OK but I'll check them out more tomorrow. I shook the hell out of the bed while watching the frame rails and there didn't seem to be any play anywhere.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rear drivers side sitting low, original spring pack. Assuming this is on the rclb with a large The spring pack is sagging more from carrying the weight of the fuel around for the past 16 years.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Measure the frame to the ground close to the rear axle.

If your difference is still there, it's likely age and sag (ie: fatigue) on the rear springs.

It's often called the "chevy lean".

It's just age as more weight is typically on the drivers side (IE: single driver/occupant, fuel tank, etc).

Chevy had a small block IIRC they put out as a "fix'. It's was just a small lift block. Pretty bogus "solution".

Having the spring pack "re-arched" will/may also help.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
My rear driver side was sitting low and it was a completely pooched shock. The kind where you compress it together, and then you can't pull it apart for the life of you lol.
However, chevy lean that dirtridin and greatwhite have stated is a very likely cause

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Another thought for ya: helper bags.

I have Firestone ride rite air bags on the back to help with load and load leveling.

Bolt 'em on and chuck a couple extra psi in the drivers side.

As a plus you can level the truck when you load it down.....it won't increase your gvwr, but it will keep your headlights out of other drivers eyes when loaded....:)

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just measured my fender heights today. Drivers side was 7/8th of an inch lower

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I measured at the frame right in front of the rear axle and sure enough, 1/2 inch lower on the drivers side. I'll look into having the leaf springs re-arched, plus I'll probably be getting new shocks sometime soon. If that doesn't fix things, would a new set of leaf springs and hardware from LMC be a good solution?