Ok....I wasnt planning this originally but....'89 K3500 Straight axle conversion...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
As the title states i was not planning on going this route with my K3500 but after reading DirtridinZ71s build a couple times and seeing the end result as well as comparing the final costs of his build vs just buying the Pro Comp 6" lift for my truck i made the decision to go SAS. This will be a slower paced build as i can afford and figure out where to store the parts to make it happen. To bring the costs in line i will be going straight to the Ford Dana 60 High pinion axle for this build which will allow me to keep my current drivers side drop NP241 transfer case. Now from what i understand the older Ford Dana 60s are the same bolt pattern as our 8 lug trucks and they went to the 8 x 170 pattern in the Super Duties correct? Just wondering what year range of axles i need to look at to get the one that will work with my truck and not require a bolt pattern change.

Here is the thread im mostly following as a guideline to understand how it all goes together...

DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

So just the basics just to get the axle into the truck i will need the following parts correct?

Rear spring shackles from which years of 2wd truck? 73-87 or 88-98?
Dana 60 High Pinion front axle from F250/F350 once again what years to have compatible bolt pattern to my Dana 70 rear?
front spring shackles from any square body 4wd correct?

Also is the section of chassis where the rear spring shackle attaches already boxed or will a plate need to be added there? Couldnt tell from looking at the pic ken posted and i havent gotten that far in dirtridinz71s thread on this read through of it yet. Im just hoping its boxed already and i can drill through the chassis to bolt the shackle mounts in place then weld them solid.

Also is there a way to keep it around 6" of lift or am i stuck with a min of 7" of lift using standard 52" long rear springs?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
So how long before you think you're gonna start?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As the title states i was not planning on going this route with my K3500 but after reading DirtridinZ71s build a couple times and seeing the end result as well as comparing the final costs of his build vs just buying the Pro Comp 6" lift for my truck i made the decision to go SAS. This will be a slower paced build as i can afford and figure out where to store the parts to make it happen. To bring the costs in line i will be going straight to the Ford Dana 60 High pinion axle for this build which will allow me to keep my current drivers side drop NP241 transfer case. Now from what i understand the older Ford Dana 60s are the same bolt pattern as our 8 lug trucks and they went to the 8 x 170 pattern in the Super Duties correct? Just wondering what year range of axles i need to look at to get the one that will work with my truck and not require a bolt pattern change.

Here is the thread im mostly following as a guideline to understand how it all goes together...

DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

So just the basics just to get the axle into the truck i will need the following parts correct?

Rear spring shackles from which years of 2wd truck? 73-87 or 88-98?
Dana 60 High Pinion front axle from F250/F350 once again what years to have compatible bolt pattern to my Dana 70 rear?
front spring shackles from any square body 4wd correct?

Also is the section of chassis where the rear spring shackle attaches already boxed or will a plate need to be added there? Couldnt tell from looking at the pic ken posted and i havent gotten that far in dirtridinz71s thread on this read through of it yet. Im just hoping its boxed already and i can drill through the chassis to bolt the shackle mounts in place then weld them solid.

Also is there a way to keep it around 6" of lift or am i stuck with a min of 7" of lift using standard 52" long rear springs?

The shackles dont have to be 2wd and the rear ones from the blazer were the same as the rears for the gmt 400's.
When using the front spring hangers you will have to put either front bushings in them or ad spacers as the front bushings in the 47's are much wider.
Where the rear hangers is at the very end where the frame is boxed. I had to plate mine due to rust.
If you built your own front hangers a little shorter or even pulled out a leaf of the 52's you should be able to keep it around 6"
Dont forget with my build that I also sold 2K worth of parts also, reason for only having 2k invested

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
So how long before you think you're gonna start?

I have been searching kijiji off and on trying to find a Dana 60. As to when i plan on starting...Prob start gathering parts over this winter and aim for next spring to actually start the build due to the fact i do not have a shop to work in...yet However even when the roommates and i do build the garage there is a bit of doubt i will be able to fit the truck inside it after its lifted unless i manage to keep it around that 6" lift area. As long as i keep the trucks total height under 7ft 2 im going to be all right clearance wise both at the site i patrol and the garage that will be built next year.

Thanks for the vote of confidence..... :flipthebird:

The shackles dont have to be 2wd and the rear ones from the blazer were the same as the rears for the gmt 400's.
When using the front spring hangers you will have to put either front bushings in them or ad spacers as the front bushings in the 47's are much wider.
Where the rear hangers is at the very end where the frame is boxed. I had to plate mine due to rust.
If you built your own front hangers a little shorter or even pulled out a leaf of the 52's you should be able to keep it around 6"
Dont forget with my build that I also sold 2K worth of parts also, reason for only having 2k invested

Thank you for the info! Im sure if i gave my buddy the needed measurements he could easily fab up a front crossmember/reciever hitch/hanger assembly and then weld it to the trucks chassis. Now if i were to do both fab the hanger and remove a leaf is there any reason i couldnt bring it down to around 5" of lift?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! Im sure if i gave my buddy the needed measurements he could easily fab up a front crossmember/reciever hitch/hanger assembly and then weld it to the trucks chassis. Now if i were to do both fab the hanger and remove a leaf is there any reason i couldnt bring it down to around 5" of lift?

I think when going that low of lift you will have to cut the lower control arm mount crossmember off and rebuild a newer one. I will not allow for the springs to clear. I think it was 88GMCTruck that rebuild his?

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
I think when going that low of lift you will have to cut the lower control arm mount crossmember off and rebuild a newer one. I will not allow for the springs to clear. I think it was 88GMCTruck that rebuild his?

Ahh ok so it will clear at the 6" lift level though? Cool i can live with that. Just needed to understand why the trucks sat so much higher when converted to straight axle.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Ok P2, Jack....instead of smart a$$ comments about how I change my mind frequently how about adding some useful info eh?